On Board Credit - Work Around and Other Questions

hubofhockey

If someone could just confirm my understanding of how on board credit currently works, I would greatly appreciate it.

I have a cruise which is 23 months away, but I'm sitting on $1,700 of on board credit, which suddenly, doesn't appear to have much value.

Does the current work around consist of booking and paying for excursions on your credit card and then getting the charges reversed once you get on board and then can apply on board credit to charges you already pay for?

Is the same true for spa, specialty restaurants and internet packages?

Am I better off just booking excursions once I get on the ship and that would mean getting on as early as possible and get to a shore excursions desk?

I was also considering buying the extra value packages, but that would create more on board credit. Maybe that's not such a great idea.

Thank you everyone for your help.

We just returned home from our cruise on Quest and the “work around” worked flawlessly. I booked our excursions prior to sailing with the cc I used for ship credit and the evening of embarkation we visited the excursion desk and they knew exactly what the “work around”was and took care of crediting us and rebooking our excursions. The credit went straight onto our on board account and was credited to the original card at the end of the cruise. As for our dining package we booked that within one hour of getting on the ship went off without a hitch.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As far as I am aware the work around for booking Shore Excursions is only guaranteed to work for cruises in 2017 and not necessarily beyond. Azamara have said they expect to have a system up and running soon where you can use OBC to pre book excursions. They have been promising this for a while, so let’s hope the system works by the end of 2017.

Sent from my iPad using Forums