Does the hub app chat feature

csoud68

Ok, dumb question. I just got a smartphone last Christmas so this is all new to me, as I've never cruised with one, so bear with me. Yes, the slide phone worked for me all these years. :rolleyes:Normally, we turn our phones off and are off the grid while on vacation. Who wants to read or see bad news from family/friends/home and be in the middle of the ocean and can't do anything about it? Not me. If the phone is on for the app isn't there a chance someone will call you? I've heard horror stories of people who get home and have an crazy phone bills. How do you avoid an incoming call?

Ok, dumb question. I just got a smartphone last Christmas so this is all new to me, as I've never cruised with one, so bear with me. Yes, the slide phone worked for me all these years. :rolleyes:Normally, we turn our phones off and are off the grid while on vacation. Who wants to read or see bad news from family/friends/home and be in the middle of the ocean and can't do anything about it? Not me. If the phone is on for the app isn't there a chance someone will call you? I've heard horror stories of people who get home and have an crazy phone bills. How do you avoid an incoming call?

You put it in Airplane mode which shuts all that off and connect to the WiFi. That turns off cell data.

Bob's wife is right. Put it into airplane mode, which turns off all communication features (cellular and wifi). You will have to go back in and turn the wifi feature back on. Connect to the ship's wifi when you board and then go to the HUB app and click on the "check me in I'm on board" section. Voila. You will have to click within the app to purchase the chat feature.

We love the messaging feature in the Hub app when just the two of us cruise. I can only imagine how awesome it is when you have a family or large group too!

Yup, my wife and I have been on quite a few cruises by ourselves, we just came off of one where we brought our 2 oldest children and my in laws and that chat feature definitely came in handy.

The chat feature was used by us during the AM only. I'm a morning person and the wife would send me an IM when she wanted to find me.

Also, the hub app is just a great way to know where to go next to see certain music, and also to check the MDR menu for the night.