Calling from Mexican Riviera Ports

tarheelmjfan

Our charges for 3 calls we made from the Caribbean last month were $34 + per call. :eek: These calls were less than 5 minutes each, & made with a charge card at a pay phone. If there was anywhere to purchase a calling card, we didn't see one. Needless to say, we need a cheaper alternative for next time. :o Does anyone have any suggestions of cheaper ways to call home from Mexican Riviera ports? Suggestions for Caribbean ports for future cruises are also welcome. Not calling isn't an option, because our DS chose to visit family in NC, rather than cruise with us. As a mom, checking on him ocassionally is a must. Thanks :)

where you can call depends on your plan--we only have a national plan so next yr when we go we will use our free internet minutes to check in unless there's an emergency or we can get a reasonable pre-paid card!

We also have Verizon. What do we need to do to add Mexico to our calling plan? Thanks to everyone who has replied. :)

Frankly, unless you plan to make EXTENSIVE calls from Mexico back to the US/CAN .... I'd advise that your least expensive option BY FAR is to utilize a calling card for these calls. Many folks purchase cards in Mexico from street vendors (generally newstands, farmacias, etc). I wouldn't go to all the trouble to add a new international zone to my calling plan for just a week.

Am I reading correctly that we can find a calling card here that can be used in Mexico? If so, what am I looking for? Our plan was to buy a calling card in the Caribbean, but the ports we visited didn't have them. I definitely don't want to be forced to use our credit card. Thanks again. :)

Am I reading correctly that we can find a calling card here that can be used in Mexico? If so, what am I looking for? Our plan was to buy a calling card in the Caribbean, but the ports we visited didn't have them. I definitely don't want to be forced to use our credit card. Thanks again. :)

Okay. Briefly, just know that Mexico OWNS and OPERATES the phone system in that country (they also own/operate all gas stations, but that's a story for another time). If you are wanting a calling card that will absolutely positively work with pay phones in Mexico, my strong recommendation for you is to visit this website:

http://www.telmexusa.com/USA_ing/ttpc.asp

You are able to read more about the calling card program as well as purchase on line, in advance. Hope this is helpful.

(And, while I would never dream of calling home on vaca, I do understand that there are sometimes circumstances where folks simply must. I remember my brother closing on a home while we were in Cabo once! And if relatives are sick back home or nearing death ........)

We also have Verizon. What do we need to do to add Mexico to our calling plan?

Nothing. Provided you have an 'America's Choice ' plan. For clarification though, there WILL be roaming charges when calling in Mexico. Again, the prices we experienced have been indicated above.

I know there are a lot of folks upset by the proliferation of cell phones these days. In some cases (like ours, work related) there is a REQUIREMENT from the office to be 'in touch', when we are away for more than 7 days. Some things are absolutely NOT done via internet due to privacy concerns (not that the cell phone is any more private, but , the corporate rule is the corporate rule).

When using the cell phone on vacation we always endeavor to use very good cell phone manners (no talking loud, not making calls in very public areas, etc. etc.).

Hi Tammy:

I've used MCI calling cards purchased at Costco for calling from and to the Caribbean, Germany as well as from US (hotels & home). You'll want a card with minutes that don't expired that can be used anywhere. I've given these as gifts in addition to tips to cruise personnel. I've also given them to the activities people who remember us during our cruises since they don't get tips but love to call home ever so often.

A call from Mexico using the MinutePass ( Telecom) to the US would be .59 cents a minute but you must find a public phone marked LADATEL in order to use it. Take a readable print out on how to call from Mexico with you as the instructions on the back of the card or sleeve can be tiny.

Here's MinutePass website for the per minute charges to the US from other countries:

http://www.minutepass.com/GlobalService.asp

If you buy a calling card, check the back to see rules/regulations as well as usage coverage and expiration dates if any.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. :) It sounds like using our cell phone or getting a calling card will be a good option.

As I mentioned in my OP, our son prefers to visit family in NC, rather than go with us on cruises. I need to call to check on my child. If he were with me, I wouldn't need to call home either.

Hi Anna,

Are you guys ready for the holidays? Hopefully, Santa will be good to both of you. :)

I read this:

I feel the same way and expressed that sentiment in a post on another thread :)

Then thouught back to my post from yesterday:

In some cases (like ours, work related) there is a REQUIREMENT from the office to be 'in touch', when we are away for more than 7 days.

I guess we could tell work we are just not going to do it, then perhaps lose our jobs, then , poof , no more cruising.

Yes, I would prefer not to do this, but it's not worth changing jobs over.

Due to my Mother's death within 24 hours of being on the Summit this last fall and the need to call home, I must admit that a charge of 34.00 USD for two calls to my daughter and one to my father was quite inexpensive. These calls were made 'at sea' (between Long Beach and most likely along Baja) and the comfort of being able to connect was worth each cent. No one knows what may transpire on a 'vacation' but to easily connect with my family made me greatful that I had brought along my cell.

• 2 weeks later...

I will be on the Celebrity Mercury cruise to Mexico on March 27, 2006. This thread was of interest to me because I will want to make some calls back to the U.S. while away. Here is what I have found so far using the information provided by others in this thread. ($ below means USD cost of prepaid card)

Telmex USA 50 cents per minute from any Telmex pay phone, $5, $10, $20

Costco-MCI 700 Minute Prepaid Card 36 cents per minute, $20

Costco-MCI Prepaid International Card 27 cents per minute, $30

MCI Minutepass 59 cents per minute, $20, $30

MCI Connect Home 33 cents per minute, $25, $50

Ladatel Phone Cards 5 pesos per minute, 30, 50, 100 pesos

I already have and use the Costco-MCI 700 Minute card. It's what they sell on the floor at every Costco. In order to find the Mexico local access number, I called the 800 service number on the back of the Costco-MCI card and talked to the customer service agent. She gave me the access number and told me the rate of 36 cents per minute. I asked her about connect fees for pay phones in Mexico. She didn't really seem to know. She thought I might need to use some coins to get a dial tone to call their 800 number. I'm a little suspicious of this last part. Does anybody have experience using the MCI-Costco card from Mexico? Specifically, what does it cost, if anything, to use it from a pay phone?

My present plan is to bring my Costco-MCI card on the trip. I'll try that first. If it does not work, I'll buy a Ladatel Phone Card locally.

OK, so I just spent 10 nights in Mexico---I never felt the need to

call home!

What IS up with this??????????????????

Darn I agree with Rose!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Having said that you will find a place in each port terminal where you can make calls. The normaly combine internet service and phone calls at the same booth. Using this service you don't need to fuss with a card just make your call and pay as you go.

Again I have never used the phone service so have no clue as to prices but it is convienent if you NEED to make a call.

It appears that the "anti phone home" contingent has laid claim to the moral high-ground on this issue. Apparently, calling home while on a cruise should be limited to dire emergencies.

On my upcoming cruise, I will dress appropriately for dinner, wait my turn at the buffet, be polite to the ship's staff, tip appropriately, speak softly, and endeavor to be a well behaved guest while in Mexico. But, this is apparently all for naught. For once I have made a frivolous phone call to home, I will have become a cruising pariah.

Long Live E.T.

1374835626_ETPhoneHome.JPG.360851990714b022c9839920125c7e45.JPG

At some of the Mexican ports, locals set up a "tent" just at the end of the gangway. Cell phones were available - seems like it was $1 for a minute or 2 - not the least expensive but not bad if you only want to make a short call or two to "check in" - buying a local card is probably a better option for more calls. But if you only call once or twice you will have paid more than necessary - though using the left over for part of a tip would be a good plan.

Archived