Royal Caribbean gratuities help

Ben - I noticed you joined cruise critic in Sept., 2010 and call yourself “cool cruiser”. I have a really tough time believing you didn’t understand how gratuities work. Seriously, not checking your entire cruise for any added charges? I think you planned on taking the daily gratuity charge for four people off, but forgot! Lesson learned the hard way.

Ben - I noticed you joined cruise critic in Sept., 2010 and call yourself “cool cruiser”. I have a really tough time believing you didn’t understand how gratuities work. Seriously, not checking your entire cruise for any added charges? I think you planned on taking the daily gratuity charge for four people off, but forgot! Lesson learned the hard way.

The term "cool cruiser" is from cruise critic. It's what is under your name until you hit a certain number of posts.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don’t have a comment on the op’s predicament, but for did want to say that I specifically avoid watching my bill during the cruise.

The few times I’ve had issues with the final bill, I’ve settled with a quick post cruise phone call.

Edit to add - I’ve also cruised enough to know what to expect on my bill. I did check on my early cruises (although the on screen portfolios were not available then)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Removing gratuity is a terrible choice. Like someone had said, there are people who you don't see who do plenty for you ,like cleaning the hall, or cleaning up after kids doing "gross things". You should always pay gratuities. Then tip extra to those you think did an outstanding job. But you don't have to feel guilty if you don't over tip because you know you at least did your part.

Yet I DO acknowledge that the cruise lines do take some of your grats for themselves and don't give it all to the crew. If they would just pay their employees the proper way, and/or just include gratuity in the actual cost of the cruise so it doesn't appear to be cheaper then it actually is, this situation would have been resolved decades ago.

Sorry you are dealing with this, but I hope it doesn't stop you from further enjoying cruising.

Announced yesterday,UK bookings for 2018 have free gratuitys,25% off and $200 obc for any cabin.

Cruise critic add the cool cruiser name.

I totally agree with your observation regarding the ops position.

Call your credit card company and dispute the charge. Not your fault they understaff the guest services desk on disembarkation day.

Have a great cruise wherever the ship may take you!

Disagree with you. You should go down to guest services at the beginning of the cruise not wait until the last day. Anyway, it is better to leave the auto tip on because there are people behind the scenes that then get something, they all help to make your cruise a great experience not just front line staff.

Disagree with you. You should go down to guest services at the beginning of the cruise not wait until the last day. Anyway, it is better to leave the auto tip on because there are people behind the scenes that then get something, they all help to make your cruise a great experience not just front line staff.

Good advice.

Personally i would never stop my gratuitys and always give a lot extra in cash tips because i appreciate the crew are working hard to make my cruise special and that is priceless to me.