texting and value wifi plan

vbecky

Hi I am wondering I have the value wifi plan added to account. Can I also use my texting while connected to the wifi on board or can I only use an app like face book messenger? I have an Iphone. Thanks so much

iMessage worked on both Social and Value even though it says it doesn't. But for regular texting to non iPhone users, you will need to go through Messenger. Also you can't send pics through iMessage.

Thank you so much.

iMessage worked on both Social and Value even though it says it doesn't. But for regular texting to non iPhone users, you will need to go through Messenger. Also you can't send pics through iMessage.

Did you use the Hub app to text back and forth too? Or just use iMessage?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Did you use the Hub app to text back and forth too? Or just use iMessage?

I didn’t need to text anyone on the ship most cruises, so didn’t pay the $5 for the Hub App chat. When I was on Vista with my sister, nieces and friends, they all had the Social plan so I iMessaged or Messengered them.

Hi I am wondering I have the value wifi plan added to account. Can I also use my texting while connected to the wifi on board or can I only use an app like face book messenger? I have an Iphone. Thanks so much

Imessage works better than the Hub App by far if you have an iPhone don't waste your money on the Hub. I only purchased the social media plan and I was able to use text messaging with both friends on the ship and stay in touch at home, of course only if everyone has an iPhone. Otherwise use facebook messenger.

I didn’t need to text anyone on the ship most cruises, so didn’t pay the $5 for the Hub App chat. When I was on Vista with my sister, nieces and friends, they all had the Social plan so I iMessaged or Messengered them.

Thanks. I just realized that we only will have one device allowed at a time on the social plan. So we will have to use the Hub to text back and forth with each other on the ship.

Thanks. I just realized that we only will have one device allowed at a time on the social plan. So we will have to use the Hub to text back and forth with each other on the ship.

You can purchase one plan for every person which is exactly what you will need to do for the HubApp Chat if you want to text each other. The plans only allow one person to be logged on at a time per account.

Hub chat and internet plans are separate. You don't need an internet plan to use the Hub app or the chat feature.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1152/~/carnivals-wi-fi-service-and-hub-app

You don't need an iPhone or Facebook Messenger to text, at least with Verizon. Verizon has free wifi texting. When I was using my old phone(Samsung Galaxy S5) on the value plan, I was able to text my mom back home(when I was cruising solo) as well as send and receive texts to and from any other number.

I refuse to install Facebook Messenger since I can already send and receive messages on the full website. It would be a waste of valuable space. I also resent Facebook taking messaging away from the mobile site and taking away the option to switch to the full site on my phone. It forces me to bring my iPad when I travel in case I need access to the full site.

Right, you don’t need an internet plan for HubApp chat, but you will need to pay $5 per person if you want to use that to text each other on the ship. I don’t know anything about Verizon as I haven’t had a contract on my phone in years. Gotta love $45/mo unlimited including taxes! Use WhatsApp or Viber if you don’t like Messenger.

Right, you don’t need an internet plan for HubApp chat, but you will need to pay $5 per person if you want to use that to text each other on the ship. I don’t know anything about Verizon as I haven’t had a contract on my phone in years. Gotta love $45/mo unlimited including taxes! Use WhatsApp or Viber if you don’t like Messenger.

I got a traditional 2-year contract on 7/13/15. Most phones were subsidized. I got my S5 for $199.99 instead of $400+. Verizon stopped offering traditional 2-year contracts in August 2015(?). I pay $103.08 per month for unlimited calls and texts and 2GB of data for two lines. I don't need unlimited data since my mother has a basic phone. I bought my unlocked S7 directly from Samsung(no monthly payments). A few months after my dad died, I started paying my mother's cell phone bill, later adding her to my account(AT&T at the time).

Verizon has the strongest network in Baton Rouge. I am willing to pay more for reliability. Having coverage during and after a hurricane or other major disaster when AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile don't is worth the price.

I don't really care for social media. My mom(66) had a Facebook account before me (28). She prefers texting. I prefer phone calls.

I only have Facebook and Twitter. I use Facebook for groups and conventions and Twitter for quicker and better customer service from businesses.

You can text on Verizon’s text app all you want while on the ship at no extra cost. Verizon text works through most any WiFi connection. I did this on our last cruise back in April 2016 when Verizon was beta testing it and it worked no problems. Non of the texts showed up on my cell phone, it didn’t even register on the international calling plan we had. Put your phone in airplane mode and then turn WiFi on and send a text to anyone. Verizon even has WiFi calling. But this feature I believe you have to go into your phones call settings and enable wifi calling for it to work. I haven’t tried it on the ship yet but I have tried it through my homes WiFi connection and works just like making a cell call. Again they said make sure your phone is in airplane mode and WiFi is on. Some have also said Carnival WiFi doesn’t support it but we’re still able to make WiFi calls and receive calls. During my cruise next April I’m going to try this through the value wifi plan on Glory. Going to call someone back home and then have them call me and see what the voice quality is. Facebook messenger you can make calls and even video calls but quality is not great and there is a delay in the sound by a couple seconds. If it works for Facebook messenger it should also work for Verizon WiFi calling too. Both are nothing more then a WiFi calling app. Make sure your phone is in airplane mode and WiFi on before trying though. If your not in airplane mode you phone will use the ships cell tower antenna first over the WiFi connection and I thinks it’s like $2.99 a minute plus your cellular providers international rate and roaming charges. It adds up quickly.

I plan on testing Verizon’s WiFi texting and calling on our next cruise during a sea day and not while in port or close to a port. Picture texts and sending and receiving short videos through text. Then WiFi calling to and from and even Verizon’s HD video calling between other Verizon customers that’s already included free in all of Verizon’s calling plans and report back on my findings on Carnival Glory. I’m even going to test a live Facebook video that some say works pretty good sometimes.

• Like 1

I got a traditional 2-year contract on 7/13/15. Most phones were subsidized. I got my S5 for $199.99 instead of $400+. Verizon stopped offering traditional 2-year contracts in August 2015(?). I pay $103.08 per month for unlimited calls and texts and 2GB of data for two lines. I don't need unlimited data since my mother has a basic phone. I bought my unlocked S7 directly from Samsung(no monthly payments). A few months after my dad died, I started paying my mother's cell phone bill, later adding her to my account(AT&T at the time).

Verizon has the strongest network in Baton Rouge. I am willing to pay more for reliability. Having coverage during and after a hurricane or other major disaster when AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile don't is worth the price.

I don't really care for social media. My mom(66) had a Facebook account before me (28). She prefers texting. I prefer phone calls.

I only have Facebook and Twitter. I use Facebook for groups and conventions and Twitter for quicker and better customer service from businesses.

I used to have AT&T since they bought out Suncom. I was grandfathered in under the unlimited data program and got my iPhone 6plus for $199 when it first came out. Well not long after that, they raised the price of the u limited internet by $5 and said that if you didn’t accept that change, then they would let you cancel your contract no charge and unlock your phone. So I did it.

Switched to Cricket which is AT&T. I now pay $45/mo including taxes. That gives me unlimited calls, texts, and up to 8G of high speed internet. After that it’s throttled down. Just like AT&T, I get service in my work building where everyone else with Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon always have to go towards the door.

Only downside is I have to buy my phones outright, but like you said, the major carriers have done away with the subsiding of phones so you’re stuck either way. I’m still ahead in the fact that my cell phone bill is less than half what it used to be with the exact same coverage and service. That allows me to enjoy my brand new iPhone X that I picked up last Saturday [emoji3].

Hub chat and internet plans are separate. You don't need an internet plan to use the Hub app or the chat feature.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1152/~/carnivals-wi-fi-service-and-hub-app

You don't need an iPhone or Facebook Messenger to text, at least with Verizon. Verizon has free wifi texting.

Was thrilled when I discovered this on the breeze. We all just paid the $5 hub app fee. We were free to text anyone on land we wanted. I use the Verizon messaging app. I'm not sure if you HAVE to use it or not. Either way, it's a great service!

Sent from my Moto Z Droid.

Was thrilled when I discovered this on the breeze. We all just paid the $5 hub app fee. We were free to text anyone on land we wanted. I use the Verizon messaging app. I'm not sure if you HAVE to use it or not. Either way, it's a great service!

Sent from my Moto Z Droid.

This is great news. We have a geriatric cat and neurotic dog at home with a sitter for our Bahamas cruise and I want to be able to check on them. I hope it works on the Elation.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk