gratuities

DGNewton

Sailing on Carnival for years and defaulted to pre-paying paying gratuities.

We would then tip over and above how we saw fit.

I'm being told that it is not mandatory to tip at all and you can tell Carnival to take them off the bill.

Is that true????

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes... Even if you don't prepay you can go to guest services to request removal....However.....as many have said on these boards....the room stewards, waiters, etc rely on tips as they main so source of income....so I would hope you would only want t credit back amounts based on poor service which would be hard to imagine occurred for whole cruise

Sailing on Carnival for years and defaulted to pre-paying paying gratuities.

We would then tip over and above how we saw fit.

I'm being told that it is not mandatory to tip at all and you can tell Carnival to take them off the bill.

Is that true????

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You can but it is not advisable. The people who work for those tips work hard to make your cruise special. If you have a valid reason for removing some of the tips (horrible cabin steward or waiter) it is fine to remove that portion of the tips if the person does not improve. But removing tips for the sake of removing tips is frowned upon.

Thanks all. You answered what I asked, I can remove them. Sorry for those that may be upset at some opinions. I just wanted a yes or no.

Yes, you can cancel them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Since it's obvious now that you plan on doing this, why did you prepay them to begin with?

The gratuities are discretionary. The question is whether one is using responsible discretion when deciding how much to tip.

This post may have been entered by voice recognition. Please excuse any typographical errors.