Ending Cruise 1 Day Early

ykennedy35

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge with what is involved in ending a cruise 1 day early at one of the Caribbean ports?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I did it at the time of booking, albeit in Europe, by phoning MSC and requesting permission to disembark at Salerno instead of Genoa. They agreed that it was alright to do so, but told me that I would still have to pay for the whole cruise, I would not get a reduction in the fare. I checked at embarkation that they knew of the arrangement , and they did. I also talked to Guest Relations on the penultimate day to sort out details such as would they collect my luggage of the ship as is usual at disembarkation.

Incidentally I've also done it in reverse and joined a cruise on day 3, that was in the Caribbean but with another cruise line . Again there was no reduction in fare.

So it should be possible to arrange but don't expect any reduction in the cost, You may be lucky and get one.

Pete

It used to be an automatic okay, but US based lines have stopped it because it no longer becomes a closed loop cruise. Not just for the person getting off early, but for all passengers. ships have to submit revised manifests to CBP - which costs time and money - and there is increased scrutiny at debarkation port, which may delay passengers leaving the ship. Whether MSC will allow, or follow the crowd, you can only try. EM

It used to be an automatic okay, but US based lines have stopped it because it no longer becomes a closed loop cruise. Not just for the person getting off early, but for all passengers. ships have to submit revised manifests to CBP - which costs time and money - and there is increased scrutiny at debarkation port, which may delay passengers leaving the ship. Whether MSC will allow, or follow the crowd, you can only try. EM

Oh the vagaries of The US homeland service and their over-reaction to world events when most often the problems are home grown, and perpetrated by nutters with an arsenal of weapons.

it's about time they came into the real world and stop letting the bad guys win by making ordinary tourists suffer and increasing costs, putting up barriers to entry.

That's the whole purpose of the bad guys' actions, to inflict economic damage on the good guys, and that's just what the USA are doing.

Pete

Check with MSC.

My son-in-law was able to embark in Jamaica (cruise left from Miami) with prior approval from MSC.

He needed to go through Jamaican immigrations and customs at the port in Jamaica before boarding and was required to leave the ship first thing in the morning to go through US Customs and Immigration as he had not done the close loop cruise.

Perhaps the same can be done for an early debarkation if there are immigration and customs people available for the country in which you wish to leave the ship.

And Skier52, perhaps you need to educate yourself on the USA's law from the late 19th century that governs passenger transport by ship between US ports and nearby and distant foreign ports before blasting such a comment.

Check with MSC.

My son-in-law was able to embark in Jamaica (cruise left from Miami) with prior approval from MSC.

He needed to go through Jamaican immigrations and customs at the port in Jamaica before boarding and was required to leave the ship first thing in the morning to go through US Customs and Immigration as he had not done the close loop cruise.

Perhaps the same can be done for an early debarkation if there are immigration and customs people available for the country in which you wish to leave the ship.

And Skier52, perhaps you need to educate yourself on the USA's law from the late 19th century that governs passenger transport by ship between US ports and nearby and distant foreign ports before blasting such a comment.

I mean ports and airports, where there are frequently queues , for non-US citizens, in excess of 3 hours, even with the ESTA and VWP correctly filled out.

IN fact many airlines stop off at Dublin and unload the passengers and luggage, do the immigration and customs there, reload and then passengers can just walk straight off and out of the airport after they land in the US. Doing that is significantly quicker than waiting until you arrive in the US.

And some of the questions asked on the I-94W Form are laughable.

Question B:- ............. Are you seeking entry to engage in criminal or immoral activities? yes / no

Question C:- Have you ever been or are you now involved in espionage or sabotage or in terrorist activities ...........? yes / no.

I can't imagine what would happen if anyone ticked the yes box and handed it in,

Pete