Beaches of Grand Cayman

Bostontraveler

My fiance are traveling on the Miracle Feb 5th and although we are experienced travelers we've never been too Grand Cayman!! We have excursions planned for the other ports and we're thinking of just going on our own in Cayman. I've seen a lot of the excursions that go to the 7 mile beach, but I was wondering if anyone knew how far away it was from the cruise terminal, and if it would be easy enough for us to take a taxi there? Also, are activities to do while at the beach? 7 miles is pretty long...wheres the best part to go...

Thanks for the help!!

Amy

:)

The question is have you ever swam with the stingrays? If you haven't, then you ABSOLUTELY have to visit stingray city. It's the best excursion I have ever taken in any port.

We are visiting GC for the second time in Feb and we are opting to just snorkel on our own off the shore just outside the pier. Can't tell you much about 7 mile.

Have fun.

I must agree with Gone Cruisin. Since you have never been to GC schedule a morning Swim with the Sting Rays and have your driver drop you off at Sea Grapes beach near the Courtyard (old Holiday Inn). They will rent you lounge chairs and there are jet ski's, parasailing, etc. to take advantage of if you wish. We have done both a ship's tour but prefer going with a local company like Nativeway or Soto's or Capt. Marvin, etc. I have not checked out threads of who is doing what tours right now. The beach is easily reached by taxi as it is only about 5 miles long. Don't buy a ships tour to just the beach. You still have to pay for taxi's and it is not worth the extra money.

Bon Voyage

how are the drinks at sea grapes?

Do they have an all-inclusive option?

is it a little more quit/adult than 7 mile?

Thanks in advance.

we want a little "corona commercial" moment, but we don't want to rent a car to drive over to Rum Point.

Thanks for all the info from everyone. I think that we'll def. have to go with the stingrays in the morning and then the beach in the afternoon. I just hope we have enough time to get in some shopping too!! I know you can save so much by booking through another company that is on the island. My biggest fear is that if we do book through a native company and our cruise itinerary changes due to the weather (the past hurricanes this season) than we'll lose our money. Most likely I'll take the leap of faith though.

THANKS A BUNCH...Only 53 days till we're cruisin'! :)

Most private tour operators do not charge your cc before you arrive. Again, ask this questions before you book. Honest tour operators stay in business without creating problems. When we went with Nativeway, they did want our tour organizer's cc as she had a bus full, so we paid here in cash directly.

how are the drinks at sea grapes?- This is not a private beach club. With the lounge rental you get one beer, water or soda. I don't know if there is a stand for mixed drinks. There is nothing (restaurant/cafe) nearby. The Courtyard by Marriott is across the street thus not convenient for entry. Taxi's are readily available.

Do they have an all-inclusive option? - NO

is it a little more quit/adult than 7 mile? - Seven Mile beach is the same public beach in front of many hotels. Sea Grapes is the area a little further away;same water-same beach. No it is not adult but it is not noisy either as the jet skis are a short distance away. DH & I prefer less crowds, too. He gets under the palm tree and me out in the sun.

Shopping @ GC- don't plan on shopping here unless you are desperate for a magnet or t-shirt. Bargains are rare. Tortunga Rum Cake is the best souvenir. There are two downtown locations; one in the building shoreside, which was an information center and one in a cute tiny colorful cottage about a 5 minute walk to the Right past Hard Rock Cafe. They will deliver your purchases to the ship also, if you have a few minutes waiting time in the morning for your tour to leave. Check it out.

Archived