Tip for Special Table Requests?

Qmadam

We are going on B2B cruises to celebrate our 35th Anniversary. We actually still like each other's company after all these years and are requesting a table for two. Also hoping to get a table in a specific location and wondering about the possiblity of keeping that table for both weeks. Now, my question is; when we go to ask the Maitre de do we tip him before we ask, after we ask, not at all, and if so how much would you tip????

Have never made a special request before. We have always been perfectly happy with all of our past cruises. We just thought we'd check this out...

Tables for two are limited and are therefore at a premium. If you booked with a travel agent, ask the agent to make the request for you and if it's granted, have the agent provide you with a written copy of the confirmation. Otherwise, you can see the maitre d' when you board, but if all the two's are already taken there won't be much he can do - tip or not -unless someone is willing to give up a two. Good luck!

along with all that has been said..

when you get aboard find the dining room reservation card in your room and off you go to check it first thing. (if this is really important of course) Staff will be at a table in the Rendevous lounge just outside the door to the main restaurant (port side usually) and make your plea there if not what you wished. I wouldn't tip then but make sure they are aware that you would be very grateful.(within reason no oscar performance needed if you get my drift.) Most tables for two are not in what I would call great locations but sometimes they will breakdown a "Four" throughout the room. Depending on #'s for your seating.

The B2B part is a snap... make yourself really enjoy everything the first week regardless of where you end up and get your Asst.M'd week one to set you up for the next week in his area at a table for two. That's assuming that aafter 35 yrs and a week one at sea everything is still OK. :)

I've done this both ways.

On a couple cruises, on other lines, our party wasn't seated together or at the same time. Matr'd said they'd see what they could do, "but couldn't be sure" and to check back. To me that is a clue for a tip on the spot. I'd thank them for doing all they could to see what could be done with an appropriate gratuity in hand.

Never had many requests on Celebrity until our last cruise. Making a long story short, we had a couple of different seating requests after the first night. The Asst. Matre'd was very helpful, and we had some nice conversations with him. When he found out we were coming back in March for the Hawaii cruise he took our names and the names of our anticipated companions for our March cruise and told us he'd make sure our entire party was seated properly and in a spot we liked. Needless to say, we left a nice tip at the end of the cruise for him.

We did B2B (on Millie) a couple of years ago. Our first cruise. First week we dined at a large table. Prior to the end of the first week the Matr'd came to our table and asked for our preferences for the second week, himself proposing a table for two. We did that and enjoyed both weeks. I don't know whether this is normal procedure, but it appeared that we got a special treatment just because we were cruising B2B. Not even CC-members at that time. Very good combination though: Experiencing both options on "one" cruise.

BTW we also enjoyed getting that special treatment in front of our tablemates who were disembarking the following day :)

Thanks everyone for all the great advice!!! BSeaBob, point taken, Sometimes we joke that after 35 years we should take seperate ships! I do know that whatever happens we'll have a great time!!! I am ready to leave now!!!

When we sailed aboard the Constellation last year, I attempted to offer the Maitre de a tip for changing our table and he politely refused. Our original table was in a very high traffic area for the wait staff and was not at all desirable.

Archived