Handcrafted souvenirs local shopping & ideas on what to do

KCmomof5

We have been to Roatan before. We had a guide, did the zip line, sloth farm and looked at the shops in little french key. Everything seemed like everything else at all the other ports. This time we would like to do something different. We would really like buy something handcrafted from a local stores. Then maybe eat at a local resturant. Any suggestions? We are arriving at 11, leaving at 7. Not sure of the port. We are on the Norwegian Pearl docking Jan 3rd. Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated! Thanks, Dawn

Mayan wood carvings....they use mahogany wood and also another tree, can't remember the name. We have a huge collection (well, 20 of them) mostly Mayan masks depicting various Mayan gods and legends. We have gotten them at Mexico-Belize-Roatan over the years. We try to bring home 1-2 every vacation. Our son even started collecting now that he has his own apt. We are all pretty passionate about Mayan history and local handicrafts everywhere we visit.

Tapestries...you can get locally made (on mainland in Honduras and other central american countries) wall hangings, or small totebags, etc. I am still kicking myself over a 4'x5' wall tapestry I found in 2007 that was expensive. I have still not found one as beautiful.

robin