5 day DCL Magic questions

NOSaints9

Does DCL have a flight program kind of like Carnivals or Princess

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

DCL has a flight program, but it is nowhere as good as the Princess program. I've heard that they have eliminated some of the "air deviation" charges, but the way it works is that you/your TA books air thru DCL. DCL chooses the airline, the flight, the arrival time, etc. I used to fume because Delta (which they use) had a direct flight to MCO and a stop the Atlanta to MCO routing that left my home airport within minutes of each other, but DCL wouldn't book me on the direct flight unless I paid a $50 per person "air deviation" fee. They will book you for the day before if you wish, but only if you stay in one of the hotels they use (at MCO, this is the Hyatt MCO or a WDW resort), and all DCL air includes the DCL bus transportation to the port. It typically costs more than doing the elements yourself!

In contrast, the Princess program allows me to choose any day (I can come in 5 days before a cruise and make my own arrangements for the extra time), I can see the airlines and flights available and make my own choices. Yes, some of the choices require an additional payment. and the Princess "flex" feature can't be beat!

Both systems do track your flights and will assist you in the event that something does not go as planned. While it is widely reported that they will "hold" the ship for you if your flight is late, this is not true. They will either delay the ship's departure or make arrangements to get you to the next available port, and what they do is their choice, not yours.

Bottom line--I use Princess's "EZAir system regularly. I don't use DCL's system domestically at all after several sub-optimal experiences, and for international, I look at what I can get myself vs. what I can do thru DCL.

We always stay at Hilton but never use our points just keep collecting. We usually use Delta out of Buffalo even though Toronto is more close to us, only reason is because it’s easier to fly out of Buffalo and connect through Atlanta. I was just listening to Cruise Radio on ITunes and they were commenting on the Magic and saying it was getting an adults spa unless it already has it, but my wife loves the spa, go figure. Do you find Disney nickles and dimes you? In the gift shop do they have lots of things that you can find in WDW? My wife seen these golden ears, that she loves and than when we were there last at WDW she loves the Cindy cupcakes.

Thanks for taking the time to reply

We always stay at Hilton but never use our points just keep collecting. We usually use Delta out of Buffalo even though Toronto is more close to us, only reason is because it’s easier to fly out of Buffalo and connect through Atlanta. I was just listening to Cruise Radio on ITunes and they were commenting on the Magic and saying it was getting an adults spa unless it already has it, but my wife loves the spa, go figure. Do you find Disney nickles and dimes you? In the gift shop do they have lots of things that you can find in WDW? My wife seen these golden ears, that she loves and than when we were there last at WDW she loves the Cindy cupcakes.

Thanks for taking the time to reply

The spa and the rainforest room have existed since day 1. My understanding is that the rainforest area is being re-done at the dry dock....perhaps to add some of the features that are on the Fantasy. DCL nickels and dimes far less than any other line I've experienced. You can have a great cruise and spend nothing more than your ticket and tips....or you can spend thousands on spa, photos, excursions, and shopping. The only surcharge dining is the "adult only" dining. The beverage station is complimentary, so only alcohol and fancy virgin drinks cost extra. The shops contain some things from the parks, but also have their own line of cruise oriented merchandise.

Do you have pictures of it and what is different Thanatos on fantasy

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Um....I think you and spell check had an issue above. No, I don't collect photos of the ships other than those with my family or friends in them. You can easily find them on line. The rainforest is similar to other "steam" or "relaxation" rooms on other lines....I get confused as to who has what, but they are mostly the same. I think Princess has the Persian Garden, don't remember the name on Celebrity.... Bottom line, all the DCL ships have an area with heated relaxation chairs and a set of steam rooms of different intensity and scents. There are a couple of "specialty" showers which rarely worked on the Magic; they do work better on the Fantasy. However, the Dream and Fantasy also have open air hot tubs located within the rainforest area so that they are only open to adults who have paid to use the Rainforest space. In addition, the space is much more roomy and attractive and the stuff works (at least when I was there). On the Magic, those darned specialty showers never worked--many trips over many years.

The spa itself is basically the same. And the spa areas on most cruise lines are run by the Steiner company. This explains the similarities.

So I was reading the deposit is 20 percent of the cost of the cruise but that was as of 2013 is that still true

Deposits are 20% of the cruisefare.

Do you book through DCL or an online TA

Me, personally, direct with DCL. Many others through travel agents, either online or brick and mortar ones.

We've had rooms all over the Magic. Except in the instances where there was something that needed to be repaired (we reported and got the appropriate service), the only thing I'd consider a problem room is the handful on deck 2 that are right below the nightclubs. The rest of deck 2 is fine.

Do all OV have a split bathroom? We were on the carnival breeze we were on deck 1 or 2 in an OV with a split bathroom but we don’t want a room with a pullout bed from the ceiling. How is the crowd on sea days, is there a good flow, or is it crowded. How’s the buffet food is it typical buffet food, the only thing I liked about some of the carnival ships is guys burgers, and the burritos, but the entertainment lacks, there loyalty program, but they had excellent customer service.

Do all OV have a split bathroom? We were on the carnival breeze we were on deck 1 or 2 in an OV with a split bathroom but we don’t want a room with a pullout bed from the ceiling. How is the crowd on sea days, is there a good flow, or is it crowded. How’s the buffet food is it typical buffet food, the only thing I liked about some of the carnival ships is guys burgers, and the burritos, but the entertainment lacks, there loyalty program, but they had excellent customer service.

Yes all oceanviews have the split bath.

Rooms that sleep 4 have a queen bed (2), sofa bed (1) and, usually, a pulldown bunk (1). What do you have against a pullout from the ceiling?

Not sure what you mean by "flow". On a sea day everyone is onboard, so you'll have upwards of 2000 guests roaming the ship.

The food in Cabanas I find pretty good. Buffet food, but not bad. The burger quick serve onboard is pretty good (love the chicken tenders).

Entertainment on DCL is a different experience than all other cruise lines I've been on - much better, more polished.

DCL loyalty program - probably among the worst in the industry, but at least there is one.

Customer service is pretty much what Disney is about (not just on the ships).

If you ever listen to Cruise radio, the host will talk about passenger flow or areas of mass congestion. I think he’s been on something like over 100 cruises just not DCL, I highly recommend his show. I think we cruise cause we enjoy it not the loyalty program.

When does the Christmas celebrations come out and what kind of things to they do

The Merrytime cruises start as soon after the Halloween cruise as the crew can get the decorations up! This is early in November--you can see the cruises scheduled under this promotion on the DCL website. The ship is beautifully decorated, as is the terminal and Castaway Cay. There is a tree lighting ceremony on the first night of the cruise, gingerbread house decorating (a ticketed, free event; space is limited), characters in holiday clothing, etc. The list seems to get longer each year. Each ship will feature a huge gingerbread house done by the professionals; due to vandalism, this isn't quite the centerpiece it once was. THe actual Christmas cruise will have caroling, gifts from Santa, a Christmas dinner, etc. There is an attempt to have a rabbi on board at the appropriate time as well as a religious officiant on the Christmas cruise, these cannot be guaranteed. They are the only religious part of the celebrations.

It’s not a huge deal breaker, is price from year to year comparable so if I look at this December should be around the same as next year. I’ve looked at various online TA and they all seem to be different in pricing for the same dates.