Cruising out of San Juan? Hotel may be closed without telling you

GlamorousGirl

I wanted to alert anyone sailing out of San Juan like we are that they cannot count on their hotel to warn them if they are closed. We had Hilton reservations, and it was only when I called to try to book an extra day did I find out the hotel is closed through the end of the year. They sent NO notification. We would have shown up, found it closed, and spent 2 nights after our cruise on a park bench. And thanks to finding out so late, so close to our trip, it was extremely difficult to find an alternative. The few hotels that are open are price-gouging people because they can get away with it with the closures. The least expensive hotel I could get (chain, not unknown local one-location hotel, which I was wary of) was $700 for two nights. Some hotels are charging $999 per night!!! We are extremely disappointed in the lacking customer service that did I not inform us, and the fact that we now have to pay luxury hotel rates for a non-luxury hotel.

So, word to the wise, if you haven't called to confirm your hotel is still open, you should. Do NOT trust the website showing your reservation active (like ours showed, when it wasn't.)