West Bay beaches

GotMINI

I'm sorry to start a new thread but I'm a little confused with all the different postings as well as my research on the internet. We will be a party of 5 (ages 73, 50, 48, 15, & 14) coming in on Carnival Magic for Spring Break 2017. I'm trying to figure out best way to have a beach day on the island. I'd prefer not to do ship excursion.

I think I figured out that the "main" beaches going from north to south are Henry Morgan, Bananarama, Paradise, Infinity, Tabayana & Grand Roatan. Can we just jump into a cab, pick one and then walk along the beach to see which one we like best? Will we be able to rent chairs and eat an any of the restaurants there...I've seen mention on these threads it's around $10, but cannot find anything about that on any website. I'm only seeing shore-excursion packages by local tour operators at these beaches, but they are running about $40pp. If I'm planning on my own, I'd certainly rather pay $10 vs $40...

I'm also, debating going to West End, possibly Half Moon Bay. While might be less crowded it sounds like there isn't much actual beach there. Is it worthwhile to do both? Honestly, I don't really want to schlepp around.

Thanks in advance for advice!

I'm sorry to start a new thread but I'm a little confused with all the different postings as well as my research on the internet. We will be a party of 5 (ages 73, 50, 48, 15, & 14) coming in on Carnival Magic for Spring Break 2017. I'm trying to figure out best way to have a beach day on the island. I'd prefer not to do ship excursion.

I think I figured out that the "main" beaches going from north to south are Henry Morgan, Bananarama, Paradise, Infinity, Tabayana & Grand Roatan. Can we just jump into a cab, pick one and then walk along the beach to see which one we like best? Will we be able to rent chairs and eat an any of the restaurants there...I've seen mention on these threads it's around $10, but cannot find anything about that on any website. I'm only seeing shore-excursion packages by local tour operators at these beaches, but they are running about $40pp. If I'm planning on my own, I'd certainly rather pay $10 vs $40...

I'm also, debating going to West End, possibly Half Moon Bay. While might be less crowded it sounds like there isn't much actual beach there. Is it worthwhile to do both? Honestly, I don't really want to schlepp around.

Thanks in advance for advice!

It is possible to hire a cab and do it your self but taxi are not regulated, valuable time maybe eaten up while haggling with possibles a person sho only speaks Spanish.

West Bay is all one beach, the order you gave for resorts is correct of the resorts you mention...there are several more on the beach. Tabyana is only through the cruise ship and I do not believe Grand Roaiartanofferss day passes. I think it would be easy enough to walk the beach and choose a spot to pay for chairs, but that involved schlepping from resort to resort, finding the person to pay and so on. For direct service choose a resort you like now and can pay transport included.

Or

Many people hire a private driver, they are all local and speak English, this way you can do what you what when you want in the order you want.

Half Moon Bay the beach in the village of West End, there is plenty of sand and a buoyed off area to avoid the boat comings and going.

I believe the $10 fee you see is daypass only, the $40pp maybe with transport or for a private driver, depending on where you are seeing it. Mahogany Bay, where the Carnival ships dock, is a healthy 45 mins from West Bay.

ahh another option, there is a beach within the Mahogany Bay complex (where the Carnival ships dock) if all you seek is sand...that would work, if snorkeling is on the menu, Mahognay Bay is not the answer.