Punta Arenas Private Tours

ARBORGUY

We are on Infinity Jan.18- Feb.2 --Buenos Aires to Valparaiso

We have made arrangements for private (non-ship) tours for all stops except Punta Areanas.

I would appreciate any recommendations on private tour operators!

Anyone else going on this sailing?

THANKS,

Bill:)

Pussa,

In Santiago we are using Ceci Salas - www.latintrip.com her e-mail address is ceci@latintrip.com

FEB 2

Pick up at port

Valparaiso and Viña del Mar tour, ending at hotel in Santiago

Accommodation in Hotel Orly or similar

FEB 3

Full day Excursion to Olmue

Accommodation

FEB 4

AM Santiago City tour

PM Transfer to the airport

Rate per person USD 38

Bill :) :)

Pussa,

In Santiago we are using Ceci Salas - www.latintrip.com her e-mail address is ceci@latintrip.com

FEB 2

Pick up at port

FEB 3

Accommodation

FEB 4

AM Santiago City tour

Rate per person USD 38

You got all that for $38 pp - WOW - she wanted $220 pp for a similar service with only one night hotel stay - I got the same for under $200 with the other agency I posted

Ron

I am using this tour operator in Punta Arenas. Since their website is in Spanish, I thought I would include some of my correspondence with them. They have answered all my request very promptly. Their website is

http://www.vientosur.com/index.php and the e-mail address is shown below. I am on the Regal Princess leaving Valparaiso on Feb. 24. Ed

From: Francesca - Turismo Viento Sur [mailto:agencia@vientosur.com]

Sent: Thursday, October 06, 2005 2:58 PM

According with your request I provide you the following information:

* "Otway Sound Penguins Colony" (4 hours): Reception at the pier. Excursion straight to this colony is located at 60 kms. at northwest of the Punta Arenas city. The Magellanic Penguins return to this particular area every year to mate and breed. Additionally, you will see other bird species such as rheas, skuas, terns, oystercatchers and some mammals such as pampa foxes. Return to the pier. Price per person usd$ 53. It includes English speaking guide - entrance fees and private transportation.

I recommend you to take first the Penguin Colony Tour in Punta Arenas, then you can have lunch at the ship o I can give you some ideas for going to a restaurant depending of what kind of food you would like to eat I mean lamb, fish, meat, shellfish, etc. Afterwards, going to the downtown for some shopping because it's sure you will see more penguins in the morning than afternoon. They stay in the morning at the colony and then go swimming to fish for their broods returning in the afternoon after 5pm.

If you want to spend as much as possible touring in Punta Arenas I recommend you to take this City Tour option. As it is a private service you can modify it according with your interests with time for shopping as well.

* "Punta Arenas - City Tour" (3 hours): Reception at the pier. This tour starts going to the main square/plaza where there is our traditional monument dedicated to Hernando de Mgallanes, and above of him there are 4 different figures and one of them is an aborigine that has a legend and this says: "if you kiss the indian toe you will come back to Patagonia". Many tourists do it like a symbol of good luck and to come back again as well. After this stop, you will visit Salesian Museum called Maggiorino Borgatello where you can find native flora and fauna, history about pioners and aborigines who were in our lands. While you are going to main streets and avenues where there are lots of monuments you will arrive to the General Cemetery that contains mausoleums of inmigrant families that came to our region.

Then, you will continue to an outdoor museum called Instituto de la Patagonia where it's possible to see all machines that were used by people in areas such as: agriculture, livestock, farming and other activities. Finally, you will reach Cerro de la Cruz look out point to get a panoramic view of the city and Magellan Strait and if it's not cloudy it's possible to see Tierra del Fuego (Fire Land) Island. Return to the pier.

Price per person usd$ 49 It includes English guide, private transportation and museum tickets.

Pussa,

FEB 2

Pick up at port

FEB 3

Accommodation

FEB 4

AM Santiago City tour

Rate per person USD 38

We have a similar private tour with the same company for $350 for 2 people.

We are on Infinity Jan.18- Feb.2 --Buenos Aires to Valparaiso

We have made arrangements for private (non-ship) tours for all stops except Punta Areanas.

I would appreciate any recommendations on private tour operators!

Anyone else going on this sailing?

THANKS,

Bill:)

In case you have not noticed, you are now on the Milennium. Come join us at the Roll Call at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=172186

We have a similar private tour with the same company for $350 for 2 people.

She quoted us as much for a one night as they get for a 2 night on their website - so I booked with Turismo Nuevo Mundo for $197 for a one night with 2 days touring. It was also easier do do the credit card thing.

Ron

We have booked Turismo Viento Sur http://www.vientosur.com for our tour of Punta Arenas on Jan 16. We have decided to do the full day tour. See scubadiver 777 entry as that is what we are scheduled to do. We got a price break of $94 for signing up for the entire day. Working with Francesca Baldecchi at that office has been very pleasant. She is very aware of the possible delays in arrival schedules and told me what to do in case. I had asked her about Sotitos for lunch as was mentioned in other postings. She said it is excellent for seafood, lamb, etc. Of course we have the option to return to the ship and they will pick us up there for the afternoon. I sent a confirmation by fax to her like a guarantee with CC, but I will pay in cash when I get there. I found their website to be in English. We leave Jan 11 from Santiago to Rio on HAL Rotterdam. Getting close!

• 1 year later...
Dear cruise travellers,

My name is Francesca Baldecchi from Punta Arenas, Chile and I am very glad to inform you that I have started my own business so I am providing half or full day shore excursions in Punta Arenas for cruise travellers.

Some people knew about me when I was working in very good travel agencies of Punta Arenas so I have enough experience in arranging these kind of private or regular tours such us Otway Sound Penguin Rockery, Fort Bulnes, kayaking on the Strait of Magellan, Punta Arenas city tour including good transportation and bilingual tourist guides.

At the moment you can write me at shoreexcursionspuq@gmail.com and I can reply your questions or doubts about what to do in Punta Arenas. I will let you know when my official website is ready.

Sincerely,

Francesca Baldecchi V.

Punta Arenas - Chile

We worked with Francesca for our January 2006 tour of Punta Arenas when she worked for Turismo Viento Sur and found her to be very efficient and worked with us for the tour. Our tour guide Paulina was a delightful college student. See notes elsewhere on this thread and also my diary of the trip. Good luck Francesca.

Rena Humerickhouse

Archived