hotel in Miami pre-cruise

DebbieICU

I have been looking for the past few days on various sites for a 1 night stay precruise on 2/17- and am finding that many are not available.

What should I do - try priceline or hotwire- am slightly afraid to let go of control but the prices for what's left is getting high.

Thanks for your help- have 2 children with us- ages 12 and 16

Debbie

I have been looking for the past few days on various sites for a 1 night stay precruise on 2/17- and am finding that many are not available.

What should I do - try priceline or hotwire- am slightly afraid to let go of control but the prices for what's left is getting high.

Thanks for your help- have 2 children with us- ages 12 and 16

Debbie

You will not find anything on priceline and hotwire is also probably limited. Busiest week and weekend of the year in Miami. Not only President's Week but that weekend is the Miami Int'l Boat Show which is a citywide event.

Book something now and then start shopping.

You may have to head up to Ft. Lauderdale for accommodations because hotels may have minimum night restrictions.

Debbie, the Hampton Inn (Dadeland Mall) is available 2/17 for a $129 rate. It isn't near downtown, it is south of the airport. However, I chose it because it gets great reviews, free shuttle from airport, free shuttle to port next morning, good area and restaurants at mall, and free continental breakfast. Good for family with kids IMHO. Haven't been there yet, but you can find reviews if you search.

four ambassadors suites in downtown miami?

Can get a rate of $ 132 for the 4 of us-

thanks -Debbie

That's an older condo complex that rents some units out as "hotel rooms". The location is great, about 5 minutes from the port. I haven't been in their apartments, but it's not a traditional hotel, and as with other similar types of properties, the units vary greatly in quality.

Whatever you do, hurry up and get something booked. As mentioned above, that's one of the busiest weekends of the year in Miami.

I also needed a room for 2/17 - looked at these boards, contacted Hampton Inn (Dadeland Mall) and they were available (thanks Lucy55).

Booked for that night - $116 (with AAA discount). 5 of us - cozy, but convenient. They said they have 1 shuttle a day to the ships and it leaves at 11 AM. They also have a shuttle from the airport. I grabbed it due to all the notes I read about finding something.

One thing about that Dadeland Hampton Inn to keep in mind - It's a LONG way from both the airport and port, I would expect a LONG wait for the shuttle at the airport, and if it's not running for whatever reason (stuff happens), or you don't get on the port shuttle you're looking at a VERY expensive cab ride... That's one of those places that's fine if you have a car, but shuttles are NEVER a reason to book a hotel. They rarely work like they say they will and are rarely worth the hassle... It's one thing if it's a hotel that's 5-10 minutes away, but when you're dealing with one as far away from both the airport and port as this one is, it's got disaster written all over it.

Hopefully the shuttle service will go well for you, but the miles don't mean anything down here, it's the TIME it takes to get from point A to point B... Those 10 miles can take an hour or more at certain times of the day!

I booked the Four Ambassadors for the night. The price and location seemed better than the other but I appreciate your inputs very very much. Being in downtown close to the port just made sense and it seems like it will be ok for the night-

Debbie

debbie, let us know how it is when you get back. Trents-Chicago can have horrendous traffic also. 10 miles at least half and hour--maybe an hour. I figure when you fly in the day before you have most of the next day to get to the port. And why worry about getting to the port early to wait some more. If the hotel to port shuttle is missed you can always take the shuttle back to the airport and then take a taxi at the fixed rate. A "pain in the butt" yes--a disaster not really. From what you have indicated it is when the taxi's run on meters that fares can get really high.

According to their site 9.99 miles from city center. Looks like a little further to the port. www.tripadvisor.com has some good reviews indicating shuttle service was prompt. Here is a more specific link.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g34438-d224244-Reviews-Hampton_Inn_Miami_Dadeland-Miami_Florida.html

When it comes to distance in South Florida, all bets are off. From 7AM to 8PM that ride will take anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour. Plan on the latter.

Yesterday I booked Dadeland Hampton Inn - Today I booked Four Ambassadors. After reading the notes (& knowing traffic at least in San Diego) I thought I'd rather be closer to the port than save a few bucks. After all we are spending on the cruise might, as well have peace of mind the night before and the morning of.

Debbie - I think we'll be there the same night (2/17) then off on RCI - Voyager of the Seas.

Bridget

Bridget,

yes we will be there the same night.

It makes me feel better knowing that you trusted this place as well. I looked for a long time to find info on the four ambassadors but not much came up at all. I hate to trust the pictures but hopefully it looks nice enough for a night.

we are leaving the next day on Carnival Imagination- first cruise for us and a surprise for the kids- ages 12 and 16.

hope to see you at check in or by the pool-

Debbie

We had a nuber of people stay @ the Baymont Inn

Bob

Which Baymont Inn? 3501 NW Le Jeune Rd? near airport?

If so, how was it? We're staying pre-cruise for one night on 1/20/06. Arriving late afternoon, will have dinner at Bennigan's next door, then to bed. After breakfast - on to the port.

TrentS says it's in a bad neighborhood and not a very nice place. Want an opinion from someone who has actually stayed there.

We have a room booked @ the Courtyard by Marriott Miami Downtown.

It was $55.00 on Priceline. Travelocity & Marriott were selling the room for $189.00.

I just checked the hotel site...and it is sold out for my date (Feb 16th)

It is a Priceline 2.5 star.

I have had it booked since July.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Sparky our group just stayed there a week ago prior to our cruise. It sustained serious hurricane damage. The rooms were clean and the airport shuttle convienent. When you go to baggage claim call the shuttle immediately as it took 10-15 minutes for them to come. The hallways however had a bad odor because of all the construction. We arrived late in the evening and ate at Bennigans. Their fish and chips were some of the best I have ever had. It was a little noisy because of the highway next door, but we all felt safe and it served its purpose. The breakfast buffet is okay and the shuttle to the port was handy. It is okay for a night, but I would stay somewhere else if you were staying for longer.:p

Archived