Live from The Wind Dec 16-23

frequent traveler

Well, darn it. Missed the risotto again. Yesterday was the day for the menu change in La Terraza so I had to settle for a steak instead, such a rough life! Service was impeccable-it was somewhat hilarious to the wonderful sommelier as my husband and I have exact different tastes in wine but he enjoyed his white and I enjoyed my red. My artichoke appetizer was beautifully presented and the chef made the best gluten free pasta I've ever had. The thoughtfulness of marking what dishes were "off limits" on the menu was greatly appreciated. Now I understand the demand for seating in La Terraza for dinner. Amazing service and delicious food last night.

Just saw Jeremy at lunch. He was happy to be remembered and wondered if you were still drinking different drinks every night!

He and fellow bar staff member Michael surprised us each night on our recent TA with a different cocktail - that is 16 different mixes each! They even kept a record of what we were given and the mixing instructions for each. Stellar service.

OH said that she didn't mind what they gave us so long as it was not Gin and Tonic; on the last night they made her a cocktail with a G&T base - Mike Special - and she loved it!

We agree about Paulino - he was in the Paranoia Lounge and looked after us splendidly. In fact, we think this was the best crew yet on our travels.

The new carpeting was laid during the recent voyage and we noticed that there was a lot of balling of the new carpet especially in the high traffic areas. Poor housekeeping probably did more vacuuming in a week than in a normal year.

This crew is extremely hardworking - and very friendly and professional. The heat is extreme this week. Yesterday it was stifling. A couple of crew members confided they had come back to the ship early from time off due to the heat.

We did another cat excursion that included a great snorkel stop, plenty of time and plenty of fish- the most variety of any stop so far and by far the calmest waters. We then motored/sailed down past a couple of fishing villages to the landmark Pitons. Again, an uncrowded cat with lots of room and a friendly crew. A bit of excitement on the way back as a lady had her brand new cap go "overboard".

The crew was kind enough to circle back and a sharp eyed passenger spotted the cap before it drowned. South Carolina lady and cap were reunited and we returned to port without further incident.

Cheese sandwiches, tuna sandwiches, and cut up mixed fruit were available for snacking and sodas and water were available all the time. Rum punch was available after the snorkel/swim.

Georges, the maitre d at the Grill, had arranged for us to have lobster last night- it was wonderful (I'm using that word a lot this week). We appreciate his thoughtfulness. His team was working in high heat after a brief rainstorm made the humidity 100% at the Grill- the hot rock experience in the Caribbean can be very different than Alaska! I believe I overheard one of the managers talking about a high number of passengers choosing to dine in their rooms last night, hard to remember it's Dec 22

Some quick thoughts while I still have internet access

Saw my one and only "passenger behaving badly" yesterday at the luncheon buffet. Was very irate with the poor server behind the buffet as he went through the list of items that weren't gluten free. There were plenty of other items that were gluten free. I felt bad for the poor server

Some quick thoughts while I still have internet access

Saw my one and only "passenger behaving badly" yesterday at the luncheon buffet. Was very irate with the poor server behind the buffet as he went through the list of items that weren't gluten free. There were plenty of other items that were gluten free. I felt bad for the poor server

That sort of behaviour gives us gluten intolerant people a bad rep! I have had nothing but spectacular service getting gluten free food on our SS cruises. Matter of fact, they tend to bring me more food than I can possibly eat.

(I wonder if the person complaining was truly intolerant or just one of those ‘by choice’ people who make those of us who will really get sick have to explain about cross contamination concerns and why we can’t eat anything deep fried. *sigh*)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Well, the not live from the Wind portion of the trip begins now- after a long plane flight back on the 23rd. a quick Christmas spent with the family and a day at the office today. Before I go back to the beginning and go through the highs & lows of each day in detail, probably painful to some, a few quick comments on leaving the ship.

A very smooth and easy process. We ate breakfast before the mandatory vacating the cabins at 8:30 am. It was good to see some of the staff we had gotten to know before leaving the ship. Since we had waited too late to book any type of tour we were in the "brown group". A quick bus transfer to the terminal and when departing, no opportunity to shop in the terminal shops. Luggage was picked up and we cleared customs in 10 minutes. You are herded out to transportation. Having read some recommendations re negotiating tours with taxi drivers we spoke with several, including the somewhat famous 83 year old tour guide. We decided instead- it being hot and humid to take a $20.00 cab ride to the Radisson Atlantica (just near the Hilton) and stay there until departing for the airport at 1 pm. The cost was about the same as the tour option provided by Silver Sea or the customized taxi tour and delivery to the airport. We enjoyed the lovely white sand beach with calm clear crystal blue waters and were able to shower at the Radisson and arrive at the airport just before all the tour buses. The AA check in began at 1:30 and being ahead of the tour groups we moved quickly through immigration & customs. We did a bit of browsing in the shops and grabbed a bite to eat before heading home. Much easier & more comfortable than some other Caribbean airports.

But definitely recommend using Viator 5 star service on arrival in Barbados. More on that in next update.

That sort of behaviour gives us gluten intolerant people a bad rep! I have had nothing but spectacular service getting gluten free food on our SS cruises. Matter of fact, they tend to bring me more food than I can possibly eat.

(I wonder if the person complaining was truly intolerant or just one of those ‘by choice’ people who make those of us who will really get sick have to explain about cross contamination concerns and why we can’t eat anything deep fried. *sigh*)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Every time I requested some gluten free toast at breakfast, I was served enough for 4 people and I've gotten so used to removing croutons from a Caesar salad- on the Wind they always made sure to remove for me and to offer a gluten free pasta option and bread with dinner. Never an issue for me either- I found his attitude just plain rude.