Silver Shadow Refurb info

scorpiony3358

I've loved sailing solo on Silversea having sailed 54 days on 5 cruises. I will be doing a back to back on the Shadow beginning March 3rd from Hong Kong to Singapore then RT Singapore.

I've been reading reviews that the ship is in need of upgrades. In addition that the TVs are not very good within the suites and that the quality of food is not up to what past passengers have been used to.

I would appreciate any and all information as I'll be on board 22 nights.

Thanks in advance and HAPPY HOLIDAYS

I'll be getting on when you get off, so will follow with great interest.

Did you read Master Echo's recent "live on the shadow" from Singapore to Sydney a few weeks back? That contained a fair bit of info you'd be interested in. It did sound like she could do with a bit of love and tenderness, but hopefully if its anything like reviews Ive seen for the Wind, the disappointments seem greatly exaggerated.

Hopefully you can do a Live summary while on board. I know there are a few CC members on the sailing after mine who'd be interested as well.

I've loved sailing solo on Silversea having sailed 54 days on 5 cruises. I will be doing a back to back on the Shadow beginning March 3rd from Hong Kong to Singapore then RT Singapore.

I've been reading reviews that the ship is in need of upgrades. In addition that the TVs are not very good within the suites and that the quality of food is not up to what past passengers have been used to.

I would appreciate any and all information as I'll be on board 22 nights.

Thanks in advance and HAPPY HOLIDAYS

A decade ago, the Shadow/Whisper were the best ship we had experienced. By the third day of the Panama Canal voyage, just about all staff knew us. Caviar (genuine) was free flowing, and the food was superb. It was our dream of a most desirable ship, planned and built at the peak of the millennium economic cycle.

Unfortunately, the Shadow had an accident which broke its hull, which was repaired. It was leased to the Chinese who used it as a Chinese ship. It has to be thoroughly cleaned and reconditioned to get back up to standard (such reconditioning might not have been complete). Hopefully, at the next dry dock, a truly thorough job will be done on it. Ships can last forty years if properly maintained. We hope the beloved Shadow will have a splendid second half life cycle.

On 16 March 2012, the Silver Shadow collided with another ship in thick fog off Vietnam. She was about five miles off the coast in Ha Long Bay when the accident occurred in the morning. There were reports of damage to the container ship and unconfirmed container ship crew injuries. There were no reports of injuries on the Silver Shadow, which passengers described as receiving some damage to her bow. The Silver Shadow continued her voyage 90 minutes later.

We were on Shadow from Singapore to Sydney very recently. She is looking quite tired in many areas including the suites (well, ours was and so were others, according to people we spoke to).

That said, the food was excellent in all venues and the service, as ever, was absolutely superb.

We didn't watch television at all but our travelling companion did and reported no issues.

Hope you enjoy your cruise.