Poll: Anytime Dining

winddawn

How do you feel about Carnival possibly doing away with Your Time Dining?  

257 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about Carnival possibly doing away with Your Time Dining?

• I love Carnival's Your Time Dining. Please keep it!
    • I don't care for Carnival's Your Time Dining and prefer set Early Dining.
    • I don't care for Carnival's Your Time Dining and prefer set Late Dining.
    • I don't care because I only eat supper at the Lido Buffet or at a paid venue.

Based solely on my observations, and NOT on any polls, YTD (or ATD or whatever you want to call it) is as popular (if not more so) as fixed dining times. I honestly don't think Carnival will make any changes in the dining options. One thing that I would like to see happen is, on Elegant Night, have one dining room for those that like to dress up, and one for those that prefer casual wear, and the same menu offered in both dining rooms. Believe it or not, steak and lobster tastes exactly the same whether you're wearing a dress shirt and a tie or pullover knit shirt and no tie.

Have never seen a cruise line that didn't have a buffet on it. :rolleyes:

Years ago when the old old NCL Windward was stretched and renamed the Wind, one addition was a central dining room where the normal buffet normally sits. It was horrid. We were often kicked out after meal because the waiters (who were not getting tips for that part of there jobs) wanted to get off duty ASAP. The joy of sitting with a second cup of coffee in the morning of a sea day was impossible.

The set up was one of a temporary buffet line up with wait staff taking your plate and seating you as the old "Open Seating" procedure. :mad:

There is no standing in line for the set times. You just go right to your table at your assigned time. It's for that reason that we choose the set times and don't choose ATD.

That being said, I hope Carnival sticks with all 3 of their MDR dining options.

But at least on some ships we have seen the lines for set dining get very long while waiting for the doors to open or for staff to check them in or whatever....they can't sit all of those people immediately as soon as they get there :) and so I was just saying that our wait times for ytd have never been all that much longer than for 'some' people during the set dining times :)

I would make a very large bet that YTD will not go away. If anything it will continue to expand. It is the most demanded of all seatings.

Exactly as the poll in this thread shows, the votes to keep ytd (the first choice) have consistently been 70-75% of all votes. Very tiny sampling but it should certainly say something about the popularity of ytd.

I'm not a fan of YTD generally (we've done it and it's just not our preference), but we've had a few cruises where I wished we had booked it. Alaska in 2014 - definitely a YTD itinerary, plus they move the set dining times a half hour earlier. 5:30 is just too early to eat. The Europe itineraries also lend themselves to YTD. Bottom line to me: Keep both. It's clear that YTD is gaining in popularity - when we sailed on Vista, the larger dining room aft was completely YTD while the forward - and smaller - dining room was fixed seating. For our upcoming cruise on Horizon, we've booked early. All our port times are early, so we're going with 6:00. An added plus: we get the incomparable Ken Byrne as our maitre'd.:D