End of Cruise day in Miami - need local input please

EssG

Just wondering if any Miami locals can help please...Our flight out of Miami back to Australia leaves at 5:30pm .....we are thinking of taking our luggage to the Airport first after disembarking and leaving it in the storage there, and then going to spend the day shopping/exploring.

Is this doable and if so what Trolley/bus/train/combination would be best to use to achieve this and in which area we should concentrate our exploring/shopping to get most bang for our hours? (don't really want to do a tour bus)

Thanks

Miami's elevated train system (called "MetroRail") does terminate at MIA. From there, you can take the MetroRail downtown (and connect to the downtown free transportation system called "MetroMover") to go to Bayside which is a fun outdoor shopping/dining/entertainment destination right on the bay (very close to the port actually). Alternately, for just pure "mass-market" shopping, you can take MetroRail directly to the Dadeland area, which features a LARGE selection of major retailers including Target, Best Buy, and one of the area's larger malls.

TBH, the best malls in the area are Sawgrass Mills (~40 min from airport) and Aventura (~25 min from airport) with no easy mass transit to either, but Uber is very much accessible in the South Florida area (I live ~5 minutes from the Aventura Mall)

Explore South Beach! It's a cheap ride from the Port and filled with Art Deco condos & hotels, a beautiful beach, Lincoln Rd shopping... All within 16 blocks and a FREE BUS TROLLEY to get you around! You can also store your bags CHEAP at the Luggage Lounge". And the next time you're in the area, stay at one of our condos! 98b99a1763e7d2dcdff7d89b9ed98a9b.jpgf541cd6b756e40ec82a47b0e9b57e4b3.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Not a local but Miami is probably my favorite city, been there many many times.

Have you thought of renting a car? I think it could save you time and money. Rent a car from the pier - they will shuttle you for free to the offices to pick it up- and you´re ready to go explore without having to go to the airport, go back to the city, and then back to the airport. pretty much the car will help you move around and keep your luggage.

I also recomend exploring south beach. It is a must do when in Miami, walk around Ocean drive, Lincoln road, there is a free trolley from lincoln road through Alton road altrough 5th street where you can do some cheap shopping at TJ Maxx and Ross. And of course all the stores located at Lincoln.

If you want to go by your idea of droping your bags at MIA and want the shopping then I recommend you go to Dolphin Mall. It´s very close to the airport and a quick and cheap bus will take you straight from the airport to the mall, same way back. As mentioned above, Sawgrass Mills would be the best option by far for shopping but its so big you would probably need a whole day just to see it all. I don´t really care much for Aventura, but they just put a new slide outside the mall which seems fun. There is uber and lyft everywhere if you don´t want to take the bus.

OP - I see you are from Australia. Someone mentioned about renting a car; have you driven in US before? We rented a full size car pickup & drop off at MIA for only $26 for the day. The UBER is about $20. I do not know how many luggage you have, but this alternative may be more cost effective.

As a Miami local, I agree with all of the above suggestions except for renting a car.

Miami can be very confusing to get around in, and the drivers are among the worst I have seen in any major city anywhere in the world. In addition, parking is usually hard to find and expensive unless you are in the suburbs.

My best recommendation would be to relax and leave the driving to somebody else.

As a Miami local, I agree with all of the above suggestions except for renting a car.

Miami can be very confusing to get around in, and the drivers are among the worst I have seen in any major city anywhere in the world. In addition, parking is usually hard to find and expensive unless you are in the suburbs.

My best recommendation would be to relax and leave the driving to somebody else.

I am not from FL but been to Miami several times. I did not have any issues with navigating in the city. Maybe it was luck on our part, but we have managed to get parking spots with no issues.

For this trip, we are renting a car because we are going to Everglades. BTW - do you have any opinions or suggestions regarding a good Everglades operator? Apologies to OP.

LOL - My joke about the "macho" driving habits of people on Miami is that besides the key, there is a penis apparatus that must be filled before the car will start and continue running.

If dropping stuff at MIA you could also continue to Dolphin Mall.... which I think is an OK mall... not very far from MIA. Having said that, the shopping isn't anything special and we seemed to get harassed a lot by those people working in the kiosks... and they tended to speak to you in Spanish first which started to get annoying to be honest. I am only mentioning Dolphin Mall because other people suggested it in the past so it could be your thing. I'd rather go to Aventura or even Sawgrass Mills.

Thanks everyone for the great input to mull over...Not sure about hiring a car and driving as we drive on the L side of the road in Aus, and trying to figure out unfamiliar territory while at the same time adjusting to driving on the R/H side of the road could make for a stress full day rather than a fun end to the holiday. May just take a taxi to the airport and check the luggage in there and then head back out.

We have a full day in Miami mid cruise (doing a 14 day East and West) which we will do some exploring then since we wont have to consider luggage and will have more hrs, but the last day will be good to have shopping available so we can use up any US$ left. Must say I like the idea of doing Lincoln Rd Shopping area and see there is a bus that runs from the airport to there and back .....Any suggestions for our full day would also be appreceated

Thanks everyone for the great input to mull over...Not sure about hiring a car and driving as we drive on the L side of the road in Aus, and trying to figure out unfamiliar territory while at the same time adjusting to driving on the R/H side of the road could make for a stress full day rather than a fun end to the holiday. May just take a taxi to the airport and check the luggage in there and then head back out.

We have a full day in Miami mid cruise (doing a 14 day East and West) which we will do some exploring then since we wont have to consider luggage and will have more hrs, but the last day will be good to have shopping available so we can use up any US$ left. Must say I like the idea of doing Lincoln Rd Shopping area and see there is a bus that runs from the airport to there and back .....Any suggestions for our full day would also be appreceated

Yes there's actually a bus that will take you from Lincoln to the airport. It's the route 150, airport express, can't miss it. Take it at Lincoln and James ave and it will drop you at the airport station, the next just go up the lift to take the mover. It should take you around 45 minutes.

As for the driving, I must say I live in Mexico City so I found Miami's traffic and drivers quite pleasant LOL.

Edited by voyager89
typo

Yes there's actually a bus that will take you from Lincoln to the airport. It's the route 150, airport express, can't miss it. Take it at Lincoln and James ave and it will drop you at the airport station, the next just go up the lift to take the mover. It should take you around 45 minutes.

As for the driving, I must say I live in Mexico City so I found Miami's traffic and drivers quite pleasant LOL.

Thanks for that info voyager89....yea, driving in a new city by it self not a problem...getting use to driving on the "wrong side, mixed into that equation, not so sure ;p