Native Ways Tour Length vs in port duration

Mechman1971

I was wondering if I should even attempt the Rays, Reef & Rum point tour. The website says it is from 9:00 to 2:30.

We are in port (listed times) from 8-4. Considering tender times to/from ship (NCL Escape), I'm wondering if there would be enough time?

I'd like to do this excursion, but don't want to be stressed out about getting back to the dock before all the tenders are done (probably 3:30 last tender).

Any personal experiences you would like to share that would help put my mind at ease would be helpful.

I see the same excursion on my Carnival cruise in Feb'18..through the ship

Why not just do it through your ship.. and not worry about the time..

It cant be that much of a diff. in cost vs being able to do what you really want. :)

It cant be that much of a diff. in cost vs being able to do what you really want. :)

While there are similar tours (although probably not with Native Ways) offered by NCL, they are double the price, and probably about 4 times the number of people per tour. I try to avoid the large group tours, and prefer to give my $$ to local tour operators.

I'm in a similar situation with snorkeling tour company I'm looking to book, but my question is how long does it take to get off the ship to tender over to the island? If we are in port at 8am, will I have enough time to get off the ship if the tour says its meeting at 9:00am. I've never tendered before.

Offerings for my Carnival cruise have nothing matching the rays, reef and Rum Point tour. Lots of reef and rays tours. Some tours with lunch somewhere. The unique aspect is the Rum Point lunch. Maybe that’s just not showing up on my sailing.

Following this because I have a similar question with our sailing. 4:00 departure (meaning 3:30 last tender).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Offerings for my Carnival cruise have nothing matching the rays, reef and Rum Point tour. Lots of reef and rays tours. Some tours with lunch somewhere. The unique aspect is the Rum Point lunch. Maybe that’s just not showing up on my sailing.

Following this because I have a similar question with our sailing. 4:00 departure (meaning 3:30 last tender).

I did get a reply from Sharon @ NativeWays

"We have done this tour for people traveling on Norwegian Escape every time the ship is in port. The last tender back to your ship is at 3:30PM. You will definitely be back at the cruise ship pier before 3 PM."

I've also heard on another review from last week just posted today from a guy that took this excursion and he was back at the pier by 2:30 and had to wait for 90 min in line to tender back to the ship.

I have cruised to Grand Cayman 5 times over the past 13 years and have done the Nativeways Reef, Rays, Rum pt tour every time. We have always been returned to the cruiseport in plenty of time. They do this tour every day and if anyone misses their ship, I think you would hear about it. I like the Nativeways tour because they do it first class...the groups are small, they make sure to arrive at StingRay City when there are the least number of tours there, they get in the water with you and the stingrays, the lunch at Run Pt is excellent!

rum point/stingrays tour...info :)

https://www.carnival.com/shore-excursions/grand-cayman-cayman-islands/stingray-city-sandbar-and-rum-point-beach-safari-417052?b=5A786A787A535032485A6861694D34374146664343413D3D

That one isn't showing up on my options. (maybe because of our 4:30 depart time)

Also, it also doesn't include the reef snorkel, only the rays and rum point (and lunch at Rum Point is not included).

Finally broke down and called Native Ways about the Rays, Reef and Rum Point Tour. I was told that our tour would leave at 8:15 boat time (rather than 9:00) and end at 1:30 (rather than 2:15). I feel much better about a 1:30 end time than 2:15, given the ship's 4:00 departure (I said 4:30 earlier, but I was wrong, it's 4:00).

Finally broke down and called Native Ways about the Rays, Reef and Rum Point Tour. I was told that our tour would leave at 8:15 boat time (rather than 9:00) and end at 1:30 (rather than 2:15). I feel much better about a 1:30 end time than 2:15, given the ship's 4:00 departure (I said 4:30 earlier, but I was wrong, it's 4:00).

What time does your ship arrive? I'm on NCL Escape - apparently we are to arrive at 8AM, we wouldnt make an 8:15 departure so ours is at 9.

We did a private charter with them for our family of 5 in June and everyone thought it was hands down the best excursion we have ever done. Yes it was expensive but not horribly so considering what we would have paid for 5 people to do a huge cruise excursion. I'm sure their small group excursion is just as awesome. They made sure to have us back on time and remember you are on ships time not Grand Cayman time as when to be back on board. We emailed directly to set up the private charter.

I have done Nativeways tour in Grand Cayman 5 times and it never gets old. We have enjoyed every one of the tours with them and are going again in March. They are a very reliable company and will have you back to the Port on time to catch the Tenders to the ship.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm trying to book the Rays, Reef and Rum Point excursion thru Native Ways. Does anyone know the time difference between Ship time and Cayman Island time? To add to the mix, to make it even more confusing, Native Ways advertises this in Eastern time. Haha Any help would be much appreciated;)

They advertise in Eastern Time because the Cayman Islands are on Eastern Time year around. They do not observe daylight savings time.

So, while the US is on standard time, the Caymans will be on the same time as the eastern time zone (EST). During daylight savings time, they will be on the same time as the central time zone (CDT).

So -- the answer to your question is "it depends". It depends on what time of year you are travelling to the Caymans. It depends on what port you are leaving from. And, finally, it depends on what ship you are on (not all ships maintain "ship time" throughout the cruise).

They advertise in Eastern Time because the Cayman Islands are on Eastern Time year around. They do not observe daylight savings time.

So, while the US is on standard time, the Caymans will be on the same time as the eastern time zone (EST). During daylight savings time, they will be on the same time as the central time zone (CDT).

So -- the answer to your question is "it depends". It depends on what time of year you are travelling to the Caymans. It depends on what port you are leaving from. And, finally, it depends on what ship you are on (not all ships maintain "ship time" throughout the cruise).

Thank you for clarifying this for me Pops!

I am traveling at the end of this month out of Port Canaveral on NCL Epic.

I will research it out. Very helpful.

Thanks again:)