Whittier to Anchorage assistance

Poohbeck

I am trying to decide what to do on disembarktion day. Our (me, DH, and my parents who are in their late 60's/early 70's) flight home is not until 9pm so we have a lot of time to fill.

Our cruise line offers an excursion from the cruise port to the airport which sounds perfect since it takes into consideration our bags, but we get to the airport at 4;30pm, which is long time to fill. I assume there are lots of restaurants in the airport? Again, I assume we can check our bags that early? We had a flight out of Fort Lauderdale once after a cruise and they wouldn't let us check our bags until 2 hours or so before the flight. I assume it's because it's a small airport?

I looked into renting a car from Whittier, but was too late.

I've also looked into renting a room in downtown anchorage but checking isn't until 4pm.

Any other ideas? Thanks.

You should be able to find a couple of post-cruise Tours with airport transfers either through the ship or a Google search of independent companies. All of these should take care of your luggage during the tour. Look for a cruise of Prince William Sound, Exit 26 Glacier or a stop at the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you both for the tips and ideas. I'm leaning towards just using the ships excursion which ends at the airport. We'll be at the airport fairly early, but maybe once our bags are checked we can go off site for dinner somewhere, assuming they can take our luggage 4 hours early.