too much info

mamiejune

For the OP:

I was much like you - read everything, took copious notes and planned, planned, planned. However, I was also planning the trip for 4 other people aside from DH, DD and I. All the research made me feel more prepared and comfortable going into the cruise, but I found that I was pleasantly surprised during the entire trip by finding out things on my own as well. Just enjoy where you're at - cruising is just great!!

Cruiseteach: Also have to ask about Maine. We have a place in Readfield - are you anywhere near? Hope the winter is being good to you all!

I am the one who does all the planning and preparation. My wife just tags along, mostly knowing nothing.

You know what? She enjoys the cruise much more than me. Ignorance means enjoying things for the first time with a wide-eyed innocence and wonder.

For intense planners (like me), the trip means checking to see if the various aspects of the cruise meet what is on the notes in my itinerary. There are just too many differing views on hot topics. For example, instead of just enjoying our cabin, I'm checking to see if it rocks too much or if all the promised amenities are there.

My advice is to relish your time on these boards, but forget about it when you get on board. As the other posters have said, just enjoy yourself!

One more thing to consider...I've read that less than 1% of all cruisers are Cruise Critic members/readers. The majority of cruisers have probably never heard of Cruise Critic nor do they have any interest whatsoever in reading cruise forums. Just like any other vacation, they have read a brochure or so, go on the vacation and have a great time.

I have friends and relatives who have cruised extensively, all over the world, and have managed to have fabulous cruises without ever logging onto a cruise board.

So, if you're concerned about your cruise "knowledge", you're already ahead of the majority of the first-time cruisers that will be on your ship.

Enjoy...after all it's simply a week or so and it will be over before you know it. If your over-the-door shoe thing doesn't fit over the door and you (heaven forbid) forget your Post-It notes and your highlighter, I doubt if you will be forced to jump overboard! Have a great cruise! ;)

Archived