Saving by booking while on board?

poetrylady

I'll be cruising in two weeks on the Golden, and already have my "next" cruise in mind (Baltic). I'm just wondering if my DH and I will save money, or get a better deal, if we book with Princess while we are on board the Golden. Tell me about your experiences of booking your next cruise while you are on board a Princess ship.

Also, on another thread, a poster referred to a great deal she/he got by booking through her/his American Express platinum card. Is that a better way to go?? It is expensive cruising the Baltics because the cruises are longer and there is the cost of the flights to/from Copenhagen or wherever the departure point is, in northern Europe. I'd like to save $$ where I can.

Talk to me...

you will not necessarily "save" by booking on board, what does happen is that you can book a particular cruise (or any cruise) with a mere $100 deposit pp, have 4 years to use it, and get a shipboard credit (up to $100pp) depending on cabin and cruise length. It is really a no brainer. You can still get your deposit back if you decide not to cruise.

If you book a particular cruise, you can still shop around when you get home to find a better price and have to booking tranferred to that TA. In general terms, you will find that a TA can get you a better price than you can get from Princess.

you will not necessarily "save" by booking on board, what does happen is that you can book a particular cruise (or any cruise) with a mere $100 deposit pp, have 4 years to use it, and get a shipboard credit (up to $100pp) depending on cabin and cruise length. It is really a no brainer. You can still get your deposit back if you decide not to cruise.

If you book a particular cruise, you can still shop around when you get home to find a better price and have to booking tranferred to that TA. In general terms, you will find that a TA can get you a better price than you can get from Princess.

Sounds like a deal. I'm on Grand next month and looking at another 7day for next Nov/Dec. So-------I can make as little as $100 pp deposit & get OBC. Shop it over the spring for better price from TA, transfer to TA at better price & still keep $50-100 shipboard credit. Is this correct? If so, Can't go wrong then!!!

Everytime I go on a cruise my DH and I book a future booking or open booking and deposit $100.00. Then when we decide what cruise we want we just contact our TA, give her the booking number and she takes it from there. It is a no brainer and you get shipboard credits from Princess and also if your TA offers credit too.

Marilyn

that is why I say it is a "no brainer"...you cannot go wrong.

Then I'll do that!!

Now, --can I book that specific cruise AND ALSO then book an open booking for future use and have up to 4 yrs. to use it. (carrying the OBC with it)

BTW--I used to sail on Princess a lot in Love Boat days, but haven't in many years so I'm not familiar with the system--thanks for the tips. Anyone else have a tip?

We booked a cruise last April while on board, had no idea where we planned to go. Six months later we found the cruise we wanted to go on, booked it, deposit had been paid already. Great deal will probably do it again.

How far out must I book my cruise in order to get an aft balcony or mini suite cabin?? This would be on a Baltics cruise. We can go next summer (o6) or we can go in 07, May would be good. Are we too late? I would assume so, for summer 06, but what about 07. Will Princess know, if we talk to them when we book something while on the Golden?

Thanks!

(any tips on getting an aft balcony cabin or suite would be appreciated)

yes, when you are on the ship, the "Cruise Booking Rep" will know if the cabins you want are available.

you can also check yourself now and just before you leave via the Princess website...they now have a "booking" area and you can see availablity of cabins (and waitlisted ones). Give that a try...

How do you use the cabin availability feature on Princess? Do I find the cruise I want, the date I want, and then check availability? I've been to the "new" Princess site, but I don't find it to be as easy to navigate as the old one was. Is it just ME???

Thanks for your help.

go to princess.com...on the front page, you will see "BOOK", click on it....that will take you to a "BOOK A CRUISE" page...on the right side find "BOOK ONLINE", under that heading you will see "Find a cruise", click on those words...then just start clicking...pick a destination, ship, date, and duration, etc.....just keep clicking as tho you were going to reserve the room......

Archived