Things to do in Port

amoody914

Carnival Cruise Line - one of the world’s biggest cruise companies - has come under fire for sending tens of thousands of its passengers every year on excursions to the Cayman Turtle Centre: Island Wildlife Encounter (CTC), where endangered turtles are allegedly subjected to “appalling” living conditions and are “exploited in the name of tourist entertainment”, including as props for selfies. The Cayman Islands - a British overseas territory in the Caribbean - is home to around 9,500 endangered green sea turtles. The government-owned CTC, formerly known as the Cayman Turtle Farm (CTF), receives more than 200,000 visitors every year and nearly three-quarters of them are reported to be cruise passengers.

World Animal Protection (WAP), a London-based animal charity, launched a petition last week urging the cruise line to stop operating visits to the facility, which is the only sea-turtle farm in the world to breed turtles for human consumption (turtle meat is served as steaks and burgers at local restaurants, according to WAP). It is also the only farm which in its capacity as an attraction allows tourists to hold turtles.

cayman-island-turtle-cruelty-1018977.jpg?imwidth=480

Visitors to the centre are said to be unaware of the poor treatment the turtles experience Credit: World Animal Protection

The Cayman Island facility was named among the world’s top 10 “cruellest attractions” last year in a survey which revealed nearly 110 million people visit them each year, unaware of “behind the scenes” animal abuse, according to WAP.

Visitors to the CTC are said to be “unaware of the... wounds, skin lesions and stress caused by keeping them in small tanks which encourages them to bite and maim each other,” according to WAP. “Behind the scenes, hundreds of sea turtles are crammed into overcrowded shallow tanks out of sight from the tourist view,” said Dr Neil D’Cruze, head of wildlife research and policy at the organisation.

In its latest petition the company outlines the disease, deformities and genetic defects caused by in-breeding, such as being born without eyes.

cayman-island-turtle-cruelty-1018979.jpg?imwidth=480

The turtles allegedly suffer from severe wounds, skin lesions, and other injuries Credit: World Animal Protection

The CTC has claimed that turtle breeding on the farm is essential due to demand for turtle meat by residents and local restaurants.

• 1 month later...
There was a glass semi-sub excursion that boards a few blocks from the tender pier in town. It was about $20 per person and lasted about an hour. Your kids should enjoy that.

Grand Cayman is expensive! Lunch consisting of a shared pizza, a Diet Coke, and an umbrella drink was over $40.

Is the glass semi-sub on the way to 7 mile beach AND is this something you can just walk up to, pay and participate in or do you have to find someone at the port advertising this? Thanks for any info!

On my last visit to Cayman, I stayed in port because I'd been to Hell and back (and the turtle farm) on my last visit. I spent about 2-3 hours wandering about the port area. In addition to the shops in town, there is a small museum on the main street. There is a cost to enter (I can't recall how much but it was reasonable IMO); there is a short video explaining the history of Grand Cayman, the original gaol, exhibits of animals/birds native to the area, as well as information on one of the island's more famous individuals. I also stopped by a small church (almost directly across from the port). The stained glass windows were phenomenal!

A bit of shopping and lunch at Margaritaville (on the front balcony - great for people watching). That might be too "old lady" for your children but at least you wouldn't be taking a bus for an hour or so.

Or alternatively do a quick walk-about, pop back onto the ship and pretend it belongs to all of you. That can be a lot of fun too!

• 2 weeks later...

We've done the stingrays, even went via jet skis which was really cool. Now we just walk down to Eden Rock and snorkel for a bit then walk back into town to do a little shopping. It's the shortest port time we have and of course have to tender so it takes a little out of the day. We don't like the rush, rush, rush so we just relax and make it an easy day.