Dunns River Falls - Ocho Rios

JayceeP

Not finding anything very current on the latest at Dunns River Falls. We are a party of 7 (2 teens and 1 baby). I am thinking of taking the 2 teens and my soon to be brother in-law on an excursion while leaving my wife, baby, and sister-in-law on board (we'll do beach days at other ports).

Just wondering if anyone has any current suggestions. I was there about 17 years ago and we did a rum punch type of boat cruise from the port over to the falls and accessed it by beach. I'm having a tough time finding something similar. The default option for us is to just book through MSC but thought I would throw it out there anyway as the cruise excursions are all by bus.

Any tips, comments, or thoughts are welcomed.

We loved our excursion to the Blue Hole. Sooo pretty and my teens loved the jumps and swings. The guides there are great. We used libertytoursjamaica.com to go there. Ricardo was our driver and was very nice and professional. I've read good reviews of their other guides as well. Hope they can help you out. Trip Advisor has lots of info and reviews about it. Much better than Dunns in our opinion.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
@JayceeP - did you go yet? I wanted to wing it, too! The falls are so close to port!

So, we are currently in Ocho Rios and just had a great day at the falls. We walked off the ship early (not long after 9am) and got to a triage type of point. I explained we just wanted to take a cab to the falls and explore. I was referred to what actually ended up being more or less a tour/excursion but cost $32/pp round trip and included a pass to the falls. This was good because we ended up with a guide (C Folkes) and his videographer and other people were in our group too.... pretty sure they were from an MSC Excursion. Anyway, not quite exactly what we planned for as we were on a guide schedule but one climb was enough anyway. The price was fine with me and we saved $23pp as the ship excursion is $55.

Everything was easy. People were very nice and the shop area the guides shepherd you through after are kind of pushy but, honestly, nothing I haven’t seen before. The vendors were all accepting of my polite no’s.

If this is how these tourist vendors conduct themselves daily, then I would have no hesitation making a recommendation. Having said that, go at your own risk as I don’t want to be held accountable for any bad experiences. I am just giving a brief summary of my own personal experience with a family of 5.

PS- our guided tour was through “Dolphin Cove.” Again, we stumbled upon them after we left the ship near the first “checkpoint” area. Good luck.