Costa Maya Beach Breaks

jbklyn88

I don't understand why RCI would cancel the ruins tour because of the bus crash a few weeks ago. We are doing this tour but through Native Choice. Accidents happen unfortunately. We saw they get good reviews. I would go with them and cancel the Chitchen Itza tour in Cozumel. It's a very long trip to see the ruins for about an hour. Go have a beach day on Cozumel.

So, my brother was killed in the bus crash. While it is true that accidents happen, I think it is very important for Royal to investigate what happened and why. The crash appears to have been the result of driver error (not really an accident) and so there are important questions that should be answered before trusting passengers are placed in the care of this bus company. Was the driver properly licensed and trained? Was the bus company providing adequate oversight? Have there been complaints about this driver, or this bus company? Is the time frame for the tour realistic, or are drivers being pressured to speed to save time? It will take time to answer these questions. Until Royal is confident they have done everything they can to ensure the safety of their guests it is their duty to suspend that excursion.

Having said that, I have been to Chacchoben twice: once on a ship sponsored tour and once with Native Choice. I would recommend taking Native Choice tour if you really want to go. The ruins are beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have been to Costa Maya three times and never have pre-booked a beach break. The beach town of Mahuhal is about a 5 minute drive from the port (not walkable). They have a shuttle ($ 2 or 3 per person) that will take you into town. You have to walk through the entire port/shopping area, and the shuttle boarding area is at the very back entrance of the port. The shuttle has four stops. The first stop will drop you off near Blue Kay (have never been, but good reviews, seems quieter). The second and third stops drops you off in the middle (Krazy Lobster, Tropicante, etc). The last stop will drop you off at the very end (Pez Quedro, if still there). There is a walk-way right next to all of the beach bars/clubs all along Mahuhal. We have gone to the Krazy Lobster the past two times. Free beach front chairs and tables, lively music, free kayaks, a small playground and reasonably priced food and drinks (they will bring right to your beach chairs). It is very easy to walk along the walkway and check out the various beach clubs. You can take a cab back to the ship ($2 per person) without difficulty. We travel with kids, and felt safe.

We went to Maya Chan in December and loved it. The food and drinks were amazing. Staff there actually kayaked drinks right out to us in the water. The road to and from is really bumpy however. Maya Chan provided the transportation and that was my only complaint. The "taxi" van provided for the trip there had seat belts that were tied up so that they could not be used and my two daughters and I had the backseat which had a broken seat back. With every bump we hit our seat would literally slide back and forth. I didn't feel safe at all. The trip back was a bit better. Still no seat belts but the van was in better condition.

So, my brother was killed in the bus crash. While it is true that accidents happen, I think it is very important for Royal to investigate what happened and why. The crash appears to have been the result of driver error (not really an accident) and so there are important questions that should be answered before trusting passengers are placed in the care of this bus company. Was the driver properly licensed and trained? Was the bus company providing adequate oversight? Have there been complaints about this driver, or this bus company? Is the time frame for the tour realistic, or are drivers being pressured to speed to save time? It will take time to answer these questions. Until Royal is confident they have done everything they can to ensure the safety of their guests it is their duty to suspend that excursion.

Having said that, I have been to Chacchoben twice: once on a ship sponsored tour and once with Native Choice. I would recommend taking Native Choice tour if you really want to go. The ruins are beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So sorry for your loss. A terrible tragedy.

We booked ShipWreck'd for our Vision shortie.

2w746zt.jpg

Forecast is 82 for a high and 74 for the low, sunny and breezy...hope it stays that way for Jan. 28th

Please report back. I haven’t seen many reviews for this bar. Did you need to pre- book? Do you just take a taxi from the port? It seems a way down the bumpy road to Maya Chan?