Complimentary Wine ?

IMSAILING

Yes we were on the valor in November and dined in the steakhouse on embarkation day. Our table got two bottles of wine as we booked two reservations but were seated together. They do try to open all of the wine and serve it there but I asked that they not open the second and they let me take it back. I was the only wine drinker of our party of six and didn't want it to go to waste.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Can someone in the know make a recommendation for a bottle of white and red from the steakhouse when taking advantage of the 50% discount. I regret my wine knowledge is limited. I can tell if it has seen oak and I know I like dryer whites but that is about the depth of my ability in that department.

Thanks in advance. Mark

Can someone in the know make a recommendation for a bottle of white and red from the steakhouse when taking advantage of the 50% discount. I regret my wine knowledge is limited. I can tell if it has seen oak and I know I like dryer whites but that is about the depth of my ability in that department.

Thanks in advance. Mark

Well, that is a huge can'o'worms.

I find pairing wine with the food you are eating is often the best way to pick out the "best" wine for the meal. Wine without a meal/food is a whole different story.

So for example, I believe that Carnival has Nobilo Sauvignon Blanc available - that would go great with any fish dish, as well as a lighter-seasoned chicken or pork. If you want to spend more, the Cloudy Bay is supposed to be one the best Sauv Blancs in the world.

Heavier white meat dishes and pastas with white sauces would pair well with an oaked Chardonnay, such as the Chalk Hill or Grgich Hills from California which are higherpriced, or the Behringer Chardonnay for a more budget-friendly price (looking at a photo of the menu I found online).

For reds, I might try the Firesteed Pinot Noir for duck or a heavier pork dish. For a steak, I'd pick out a Zinfandel or Shiraz -there are a few that look good, the President's Wolf Blass Shiraz or if I wanted to spend a bit more the Duckhorn Paraduxx looks intriguing. Again, looking at photos of menus online (thanks ZydecoCruiser, wherever you are).

I have no idea if the bottles on the Reserve list are available at the 50% discount - I would hope so, but...

Anyway, what I also might suggest is you look at the photos of the menus available online, and see if you can find some of them locally and enjoy with dinner at home - then you can experiment a bit more cost-effectively.

IMHO, YMMV, AFAIK, etc.

Thanks in advance. Mark

I had steak and got a nice Malbec in the steakhouse. It was 20 bucks or so on board and I got 50% off - it would have been an 8 or 9 dollar bottle on land but I liked it and didn't mind getting it for close to its real price. I often get 10~14 dollar Malbecs at home. I wouldn't say I'm "in the know" but I like them and they go good with the filet.

Does anyone have the steakhouse drink/wins menu?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Search online, that's how I found them - do a Google image search for "Carnival steakhouse wine list" or similar. You should find the images and original review from someone called ZydecoCruiser.

Is it true you can order several bottles at 50% off to enjoy in the MDR later in the cruise?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Is it true? Maybe. My personal experience is it worked for us (me and the wife). I wanted red, she wanted white. We asked if we could go with both and the waiter said he would have to ask the manager. He came back and said we could. Neither bottle was finished and we were offered the ability to take them with us or leave them in the "cellar" for use later in the cruise (at the steakhouse or in the MDR).

Others have reported difficulty in getting more than one bottle.