10% Spanish VAT on bar charges at NCL ?

Elo Moreno

This makes absolutely no sense if you have a beverage package as the cost has already been included (whether paid in advance or as a perk). I get it when you purchase the beverage package on board or adding taxes to individual drinks but adding tax to something that costs nothing is plain... bizarre. :o

NCL should also be careful as they provide the UBP as a perk with their trips and by doing so and selling it that way in Australia they would be using this promotion illegally as by Australian law anything sold here or given as a perk has to include all fees, taxes etc and be the "total" regardless of the country that it is purchased for. I'm pretty sure most of the EU and also UK operate on the same basis as well! I know the US it is totally allowed to add taxes and fees after but it is one of the few places it is accepted as a practice.

Hopefully someone that has been on a cruise recently out of Europe will be able to clarify the situation regarding this tax debacle!

We came back from the cruise on the Norwegian Spirit 8 weeks and and along with lodging our complaint on board I followed it up with NCL on our return . We had Purchased our Drinks package when we booked the cruise 9 months ago and therefore NCL had all our money up front . I understand all about the Tax paid whilst in port in the USA and having travelled widely all with NCL over the last 20 months I am conversant with the taxes . The problem is on the Spanish Tax scenario you are charged it as soon as you reach spanish waters ( even the full length of passing Gibralter )our 10 day cruise tax bill totalled $108 which as I explained to NCL it's a bit like me Buying a dress in a local departmental store and if i ever wear it to go to the store they charge me tax on it . I did not purchase any drinks on board ship my package was purchased 9 Months prior to me sailing . NCL have since refunded all of my Tax back to my bank account and speaking to other cruisers on other lines NCL are the only ones who charge this tax to the extent that they do

We came back from the cruise on the Norwegian Spirit 8 weeks and and along with lodging our complaint on board I followed it up with NCL on our return . We had Purchased our Drinks package when we booked the cruise 9 months ago and therefore NCL had all our money up front . I understand all about the Tax paid whilst in port in the USA and having travelled widely all with NCL over the last 20 months I am conversant with the taxes . The problem is on the Spanish Tax scenario you are charged it as soon as you reach spanish waters ( even the full length of passing Gibralter )our 10 day cruise tax bill totalled $108 which as I explained to NCL it's a bit like me Buying a dress in a local departmental store and if i ever wear it to go to the store they charge me tax on it . I did not purchase any drinks on board ship my package was purchased 9 Months prior to me sailing . NCL have since refunded all of my Tax back to my bank account and speaking to other cruisers on other lines NCL are the only ones who charge this tax to the extent that they do

I am glad to hear that common sense prevailed here and that charging tax on something that is already paid for in full is crazy particularly for individual items that have no monetary values!

Let's also not forget that it is not permitted to "add" taxes to anything purchased in the EU, it has to be included in the package or menu price up front.

I'm glad to hear they refunded it for you and hope they give up on trying to get away with this:)

The OP's example is interesting. Since their cruise goes to Morocco (which is outside the EU) there should not be an issue with VAT taxes...except for those purchases made while in the EU. So EU folks, where am I going wrong? We have learned to be careful if purchasing any kind of package on embarkation day (of any cruise). We always ask the staff if the purchase will be subject to local taxes whether it be VAT (in Europe) or Sales Tax if in some USA ports. If there is going to be a tax we will often delay our purchase until in International waters (we do realize this does not work if a cruise goes to only EU ports).

Hank

Going on Pullmantur in 10 days. . . . they have all inclusive, but also an add on price for "top shelf" beverages.

Departure port is Malaga, Spain w stp in Mahon, Spain. Excited to see if they will add tax on the 'to pay for drinks' should I choose to buy one. I doubt it. . . . It's NCL who's way off and getting away with it in 99,9% of the cases I'd gather. Likely not very many passengers will persue the issue after getting back home.

Thanks for all input.

Going on Pullmantur in 10 days. . . . they have all inclusive, but also an add on price for "top shelf" beverages.

Departure port is Malaga, Spain w stp in Mahon, Spain. Excited to see if they will add tax on the 'to pay for drinks' should I choose to buy one. I doubt it. . . . It's NCL who's way off and getting away with it in 99,9% of the cases I'd gather. Likely not very many passengers will persue the issue after getting back home.

Thanks for all input.

Pullmantur being a Spanish cruise line - and sailing out of a Spanish port - there's a good possibility that the VAT is already included in the sticker price, same as bars ashore.

Haven't sailed Pullmantur, but I believe their on-board costs are lower than on US ships :)

JB :)