Tampa / Orlando Hotels

MDavis23

Family of four (15 yo boy/4 yo girl) leaving out of Tampa on Miracle. We are flying into Orlando (gotta use the frequent flyer miles) about 5:30 p.m. night before cruise. Thinking of staying at Chase Suites, but have heard mixed reviews and not sure if I want to pay the money for one night getting in about 7:00 p.m. (maybe if had more time). Need place with two beds and would not mind if had a sleeper sofa also so kids don't have to sleep together. When we get back into Tampa we will need a place in Orlando before we fly out the next day. Not sure if we want a nice hotel to just go to and veg for the day or if we should get an place just to crash and do something for the day. Thought of going to Disneyworld but don't see that you can get one day passes.

Thoughts on both precruise and after cruise would be most appreciative. Thanks!

cant help with hotel but the reviews ive read from Chase Suites have been favorable. I think most people stay there for transportation to ship and airport. If your flying in to Orlando you will already have a car you could turn in at the port area or Tampa airport and they would transfer you to the ship.

Disney World tickets for one day one park are sold at the gate 64.00 for ages 10 and up 51.00 ages 3-9 fress under 3 . Prices will probally go up a little in Jan. They usually do increase a small amount every year.

Bush Gardens in Tampa maybe an option too. Lots of animals great roller coasters. Then use priceline for a hotel in the orlando airport area for the night. You can get a nice hotel 3* or better for around 50.00

Could somebody please tell me how far Tampa is from Orlando?

After reading this post, I was wondering if we should think of flying in/out of Orlando for our upcoming cruise on the Gandeur which will depart from Tampa.

Thanks for your help.

I never thought that Tampa and Orlando were that close together.

I got an amazing deal on a hotel in Tampa (hotel mix up) that it is still worth my while to fly into Tampa. We are spending 2 nights pre cruise there.

Thanks for the info.

Tampa is baout an hours, eay, drive from Orlando. For just a place to sleep at night, Orlando will be cheaper, as they have a TON of hotels. Car rentals are cheap in FL too

However, if there is an accident, the QUICK and EASY drive could turn into something much longer and there aren't many exits to get off in certain stretches of I-4. There is also continuous ongoing construction in Tampa AND Orlando along I-4 that can make traffic a nightmare.

Blueice: From the research that I did, it is a little over one hour drive. We found airline tickets MUCH cheaper flying in and out of Orlando. We are not planning on staying in Orlando precruise and we don't want to get caught in traffic on the way there. However, we would like to find a hotel in Orlando for after the cruise. My first thought is to find one that we can go from the cruise terminal directly to the airport and just hang out there. Need to find a hotel that the kids will have things to do while DH and I just relax. What deal did you get in Tampa?

Blueice: From the research that I did, it is a little over one hour drive. We found airline tickets MUCH cheaper flying in and out of Orlando. We are not planning on staying in Orlando precruise and we don't want to get caught in traffic on the way there. However, we would like to find a hotel in Orlando for after the cruise. My first thought is to find one that we can go from the cruise terminal directly to the airport and just hang out there. Need to find a hotel that the kids will have things to do while DH and I just relax. What deal did you get in Tampa?

For LOCATION in Orlando (actually Lake Buena Vista on the property of Walt Disney World) I prefer either The Grosvenor or The Wyndham Buena Vista Palace. These two hotels are located directly across the street from Downtown Disney, which has all sorts of restaurants, shops and attractions, including the FABULOUS resident Cirque du Soleil show, La Nouba. (I've seen it 3 times so far) You can just walk across the street and there you are. These hotels also feature free bus transporation to all of the Disney theme parks.

The Grosvenor is not as upscale as the The Wyndham, but it's still a very decent hotel, especially for families, and you can get some excellent room prices from time to time.

My husband and I tend to avoid International Drive and Irlo Bronson Highway for hotel stays, because of way too much traffic. We've been caught in TOTAL gridlock on International Drive! :mad: 1/2 hour to go one block is NOT my idea of a good time.

Family of four (15 yo boy/4 yo girl) leaving out of Tampa on Miracle. We are flying into Orlando (gotta use the frequent flyer miles) about 5:30 p.m. night before cruise. Thinking of staying at Chase Suites, but have heard mixed reviews and not sure if I want to pay the money for one night getting in about 7:00 p.m. (maybe if had more time). Need place with two beds and would not mind if had a sleeper sofa also so kids don't have to sleep together. When we get back into Tampa we will need a place in Orlando before we fly out the next day. Not sure if we want a nice hotel to just go to and veg for the day or if we should get an place just to crash and do something for the day. Thought of going to Disneyworld but don't see that you can get one day passes.

Thoughts on both precruise and after cruise would be most appreciative. Thanks!

Our family had this situation a couple of years ago, and this is what we did.

We stayed at the BW International Inn on International Drive in Orlando. Its a great location, close to lots of returants and Universal Studios. (We had a suite with a separate room for the kids).

We then rented a car from Dollar rent a car, the day before the cruise, and drove to Tampa the next morning. We dropped the car off at the Dollar rental center (near the airport), and the agency gave all four of us a ride to the Cruise ship Terminal. Total cost for the SUV was about $60. On the way back, we actually flew out of Tampa, so we didn't need to worry about driving back, but, I know that Dollar will pick you up at the terminal and get you a car (which you could drop at at Orlando airport).

By the way, you can buy day passes at Disney or Universal.

good luck and have fun.

hova

I got a great hotel deal in Tampa. We are staying at the Radisson Hotel on Courtney (something) Way. Long story short, went into a web site that redirected me to a ton of hotels (for Tampa) and eventually came across $10 night for the Radisson Hotel (hard to believe) anyway I was redirected to the Radisson Hotel site and again it said $10.00 night so I quickly booked 2 nights precruise (April 15 and 16th) to get a confirmation number for the rate quoted. Anyway when all was said and done, it was a done deal and I quickly phoned the reservation number to confirm that my price can't and won't change. What an amazing deal and I check it periodically to make sure.

Turns out that when somebody at the hotel loaded the prices they forgot to add in the amount for the room and only entered in the $10.00 extra per night for the child as well. A room that should have been $195 plus $10.00 (for the child) was only being quoted at $10.00. $20.00 for 2 nights (plus tax) is an amazing deal - could not have done better on Priceline (which I have used three times in the past).

Keep an eye on hotel rates and check periodically. Perhaps you might get just as lucky as we did. If you want to know the original site I used, let me know your email address and I can send it to you as I don't think I can post that info on this board.

Happy Holidays.......

I got a great hotel deal in Tampa. We are staying at the Radisson Hotel on Courtney CAMPBELL CAUSEWAY (something) Way. Long story short, went into a web site that redirected me to a ton of hotels (for Tampa) and eventually came across $10 night for the Radisson Hotel (hard to believe) anyway I was redirected to the Radisson Hotel site and again it said $10.00 night so I quickly booked 2 nights precruise (April 15 and 16th) to get a confirmation number for the rate quoted. Anyway when all was said and done, it was a done deal and I quickly phoned the reservation number to confirm that my price can't and won't change. What an amazing deal and I check it periodically to make sure.

Turns out that when somebody at the hotel loaded the prices they forgot to add in the amount for the room and only entered in the $10.00 extra per night for the child as well. A room that should have been $195 plus $10.00 (for the child) was only being quoted at $10.00. $20.00 for 2 nights (plus tax) is an amazing deal - could not have done better on Priceline (which I have used three times in the past).

Keep an eye on hotel rates and check periodically. Perhaps you might get just as lucky as we did. If you want to know the original site I used, let me know your email address and I can send it to you as I don't think I can post that info on this board.

Happy Holidays.......

WOW! :eek: I've gotten some great deals, but NOTHING comes close to yours!

Your hotel is on the Courtney Campbell Causeway which is one of the three roads that cross Tampa Bay.

Tampa is baout an hours, eay, drive from Orlando. For just a place to sleep at night, Orlando will be cheaper, as they have a TON of hotels. Car rentals are cheap in FL too

Besides possible traffic jams due to contruction and accidents, another thing to bear in mind is that the Orlando airport is located east and somewhat south of the city, so that adds additional driving time over to Tampa. I would say that the "easy" hour's drive would be from the eastern fringes of Tampa to the western fringes of greater Orlando (Kissimmee ~ and Disney World) under IDEAL conditions ~ which I have almost NEVER encountered and my husband and I drive to Orlando quite a bit. Orlando is fine to fly into, but just don't cut yourself short timewise to and from your cruise.

I have flown in and out of MANY airports in the U.S. and have to say that the Tampa International Airport wins hands down for large airports (in my estimation) in ease of getting through security, to and from your gate, picking up your luggage, and getting out of the airport and on your way. The airport basically is "right downtown" ~ not out in the boonies like so many airports are. Very convenient! And it's just a 12 minute drive from my home. :D

WOW! :eek: I've gotten some great deals, but NOTHING comes close to yours!

Your hotel is on the Courtney Campbell Causeway which is one of the three roads that cross Tampa Bay.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

I noticed that you were from Tampa, are you familiar with the Radisson and is it a nice property? Any good restaurants in the area? What is the best way to get from the hotel to the pier?

Thanks for answering some of my questions.

Happy Holidays.......

Archived