Live From Silversea Muse - Days Four and Five

ladymadeline

Long day yesterday with a bus ride into the Rio Simpson reserve. By the time we left the ship until returning by tender, it was almost a six hour excursion. While we enjoyed the scenery, we thought it was a little too long, with the stops in a small city, a nature center and a small waterfall.

Disappointing meal in Atlantide last night. I had to return my seafood chowder as it was way too salty. The king prawns were undercooked and they offered me a lobster tail instead, but I declined. Another couple at our table said their sea bass was not thoroughly cooked. As we left, they asked us how our meal was and we were honest. (Why do I always feel funny telling them the food wasn't good?) But, maybe this is the only way they can improve.

Today was a great excursion to the glacier at Laguna San Raphael. You boarded a large catamaran style boat that seats about 65 people and take an hour long ride deep into the National Park area. The glacier, while not as impressive as some we've seen in Alaska, is still pretty spectacular. Service on the boat was excellent with coffee, pastries and even...mimosas for the trip. Round trip was approximately 3 hours. We were back in time for lunch and I did my first load of laundry. After all was said and done...I am missing a sock. So, whoever took my Snoopy sock, I want it back.

Continuing to get trounced daily at Team Trivia. There's a group from the U.K. that never misses a question as well as a team from Europe. They're amazing! We will not be daunted, however, and will try again at 4:45 pm today.

Two whole sea days coming up next. Hopefully we will fully recover our health, as we both have colds. (By the way...the doctor on board is very nice. He didn't even charge me the customary $125 office visit and just charged me for some cold medicine. Husband, however, required a prescription for an infection and is still recovering).

Still looking for wildlife. Only saw a lot of cormorants today. I want penquins!

Hello

ladymedeline, I am enjoying your trip tales as we are going on out first Silversea trip in march for two weeks on the Muse. I made these plans before the ship was in service and must say I have been following all the ups and downs she has experienced with interest. I preferred the idea of making reservations for dinner along with the dress code being per restaurant however that has changed, oh well. The trip started off as ten days and got extended to thirteen because of a charter cancelation and now has included short trips all at the same price so its win win. With all that said I still am not sure if I am looking forward to my trip, I will continue to read your tales with interest!!

ladymedeline, enjoying your posts. But one suggestion: Please post the cruise on one thread rather than a new thread for each day. Makes it easier to follow.

Let's see if I can do this correctly....continuing with posting from Muse. I am losing track of what day it is...I think it's Saturday, January 27th and it's a long sea day.

Fantastic dinner in Indochine last night. We had a very fine egg drop soup and Phad Thai lobster. When I got back to the room I had a very nice, personal note from the manager of Atlantide apologizing for the poor dinner last night. He said he would call personally and he did. He explained that in some instances the prawns thaw and when grilled can have a "mushy" type consistency. He said by no means was it under cooked, as they take the temp of everything as it leaves the kitchen. He was very kind and wished we'd give them another chance. So, like I said before, I think they're trying hard to improve Atlantide.

Woke up to what sounded like a screaming banshee in the room at about 2 am and noticed the curtains billowing from a totally open slider on the veranda. Note to self: check the lock on the slider before bed. Scared the heck out of me, especially as we were in heavy 10-12 foot swells and it was raining.

Sea day means laundry. I am impressed with these Meile machines. I actually ironed my husband's dress shirts today. I told him this must not become an expectation. :)

Husband says the best thing on the ship is the gelato bar on deck 10. He's there right now. Earlier he was in the fitness center and overheard this conversation. A gentleman was asking the attendant to help him convert kg to lbs. She whispered something to him and he said, "220 lbs?? Impossible! It must be the rocking of the ship is affecting the scale." She smiled and said, "I'm sure your're right, sir." Gosh, that's some first class training on keeping the customer happy!:')

I actually ironed my husband's dress shirts today. I told him this must not become an expectation. :)
I love your sense of humor!
Husband says the best thing on the ship is the gelato bar on deck 10. He's there right now.
Such a dangerous place that gelato bar is. I also found myself gravitating to Arts Cafe each morning for coffee. How I ended up with multiple pastries is beyond me. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Atlantide slightly better for our group last night. I ordered a small filet to be safe and I’d say it was okay...not like a Ruth Chris’ steak, but acceptable. Husband loved a vegetarian entree with vegetables in a puff pastry.

Oh! Almost forgot the most important part of yesterday. We came up from the bottom and came in third place in Team Trivia! We were so proud...tears of joy all around. Today we aspire to simply not embarrass ourselves.

They made a brief announcement that there have been a few reports of gastrointestinal distress amongst guests. Encouraged anyone who has symptoms to report it to he medical center and stay in cabins.

Still heading south through the fjords. Very green and alternately sunny and then partly cloudy, mostly calm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most commercial dishwashers have their own heating elements for washing, as well as a heat cycle for drying. Soap is what kills germs on your hands, as water hot enough to kill germs would be scalding hot. Fine for dishwashers, but not for skin.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Most commercial dishwashers have their own heating elements for washing, as well as a heat cycle for drying. Soap is what kills germs on your hands, as water hot enough to kill germs would be scalding hot. Fine for dishwashers, but not for skin.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Correct. You can wash your hands with soap and cold water (as I do at least 50 times a day) and be perfectly fine.