Msc Marseille

pfsf cruisers

Hello we are cruising from Marseille for the first time this year, tho we have been for a few days trips in the past just went to the old port.

We have a few days either side and wondered if any recommendations for a nice place to base ourselves. We were thinking Aix.

Also for the night before the ship departs are there any hotels near the port, I seem to remember it being a bit away. Thanks :D

I don't really have an answer for this question - but have considered it a few times. I know that exploring the south of France is a vacation that I should plan at some point. One of the important points to consider is if theOP is planning to hire a car or rely on public transport.

pfsf-

You can consider driving, and you can prearrange transport. But there are train trains and buses (also called "autocars") that will accomplish this. Trains and buses are run by the SNCF. http://www.sncf.com/en/passengers

Anyhow, given the time you have and your flight time, here are some suggestions:

1. Before the cruise, go from the airport to Avignon for the night. There are trains and buses that take you from the airport to Avignon in about 1 hour. The train and bus station is Vitrolles-Aeroport-Marseille, also called Marseille-Provence-Aeroport. Visit the city the day you arrive and next morning. If you drive or are driven, stop at Les Baux on your way to Marseille. If not, take the train to Marseille. Spend the night before the cruise in Marseille. Or given the frequent trains from Avignon to Marseille and depending on your embarkation time, you can stay an extra night in Avignon and go to Marseille the morning you embark. (There are at least 6 trains from Avignon to Marseille before 11 a.m.)

2. After the cruise, go to Aix. The TGV train gets you there in 15 minutes! Spend two nights there. Then go from the Aix train station to the airport by bus. It is a 25 minute drive from Aix to the airport over the autoroute. You reserve them on the train website.

(It is a 25 minute drive from downtown Marseille to the airport with the traffic. The distance is about the same. So there is no advantage to staying in Marseille the night before your flight home. )

Yes, you will need a taxi in Marseille to get to/from the train station. Same in Avignon and Aix to/from hotels depending on location of the hotels. I believe there is a shuttle (navette) at the airport to get you to the train station in about 5 minutes.

Edited by marazul