Taking Gem out of NYC - Mistake

perlmane

Manaiacal...amen to that...aside from having your own 1000 foot ship we are all left to the whims of the "powers that be"...it would take a hell of alot for me to have a "bad" time on a cruise..aside from illness....or rain and 30 foot seas for the whole trip. Now i would really be disappointed if they replaced the gem with the minnow.😆😆😆😆

I don't know. It'd be fun to have the Ginger/Mary Ann debate in person... :D

Agreed, and it's a lot closer for me to drive to Baltimore than NYC. They could potentially get even more cruisers than they would with a second NYC ship.

Royal Caribbean has an old ship sailing out of there, some of their cheapest east coast cruises.

I like the Dawn! It was a great ship to go on with younger kids....the kids pool area was nicer than on the Gem. I have done both ships out of NYC. NYC has more options than Boston, it is time they got a different ship to sail on! I am sure, just like NYC, they have a lot of repeat customers due to driving convenience and not having to fly. The Boston clientele probably get bored with the same ship. And it is not that far from NYC, so if someone wanted the Gem that normally sails out of NY they can drive to Boston.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

there are so many more important things to worry about or get angry about than what port a ship goes out of. Heck, how about us, in the fly away zone, we just wish we had a port here. I am sure many in Boston are sad to see the Dawn leave. She is a great ship, fun, nice people and cozy. We did not find her crowded anymore than we find the Jewel Class ships crowded.

Now, let's all take a deep breath, relax, hope for even more sail away ports like Baltimore and enjoy what we have. Getting angry is nothing more than silly.

Manaiacal ...😂😂😂😂that is funny..remember maryanns real name is dawn..m.m....theres something freaky going on here😅 tammy nm....i agree with you.the pool areas were better on the dawn.my son was young last time i was her and i remember it was great.

there are so many more important things to worry about or get angry about than what port a ship goes out of. Heck, how about us, in the fly away zone, we just wish we had a port here. I am sure many in Boston are sad to see the Dawn leave. She is a great ship, fun, nice people and cozy. We did not find her crowded anymore than we find the Jewel Class ships crowded.

Now, let's all take a deep breath, relax, hope for even more sail away ports like Baltimore and enjoy what we have. Getting angry is nothing more than silly.

Thank you! You took the words right out of my mouth! I would love to have a port to drive to vs an expensive flight!

I mean if new england wins tomorrow..getting ahead of myself..does anyonee know if dawn has been re-fitted lately..i think gem wss couple of years ago...havent cruised in almost 4 years..(son in college)..put a little damper on my available moolah..but leaving in 3 hours for nyc and gem 10 day eastern caribbean..am stoked..as the surfers say..will write a report when i return.

I mean if new england wins tomorrow..getting ahead of myself..does anyonee know if dawn has been re-fitted lately..i think gem wss couple of years ago...havent cruised in almost 4 years..(son in college)..put a little damper on my available moolah..but leaving in 3 hours for nyc and gem 10 day eastern caribbean..am stoked..as the surfers say..will write a report when i return.

Have a wonderful 10 days. I so envy you, but we are leaving in 90 days so I will just have to be patient. Yes, if I remember right the Dawn was just refurbished.

Dawn was in drydock in May, 2016 & she looks beautiful. Except for the artwork in the Venetian which looks like it belongs in a horror movie..............

Just in case CruiseCritic readers have not noticed, the lovely GEM will be sailing on longer Winter cruises from/to NYC and CA -- via the Panama Canal -- in January 2019 and January 2020:

1. January 2019: 2 to 20 January 2019 NYC/LA [18 Nights], 20 to 27 January 2019 LA/LA [7 Nights], and 27 January to 15 February 2019 LA/NYC [19 Nights] ... take all three as a Back-to-Back-to-Back (B2B2B) voyage for a NYC/NYC roundtrip [44 nights].

2. January 2020: 4 to 24 January 2020 NYC/SF [20 nights], and 24 January to 14 February 2020 SF/NYC [21 Nights] ... take both as a Back-to-Back (B2B) voyage for a NYC/NYC roundtrip [41 nights].

Hint: Book early [and miss some cold weather at home] -- as I did -- to get choice of cabin and, if doing back-to-back [-to back] sailings, same cabin [have the individual bookings be Linked for on-board convenience].

Taste is taste...i prefer the jewel class ships to the mega ships..but nyc will now have both..there us really nothing to complain about..and plus if new england wins today boston will have the gem and another ring...everyone should be happy😉

Well, almost everyone will be happy...#J E T S