Hilo Car Rental

jjmsbu09

We’re on the Carnival Legend Hawaii repositioning cruise in April. Our Hilo stop only 9-5. Is renting a car to go to Volcano National Park doable? How about rainbow falls? It’s our last port day so I’m nervous about missing the ship. Any advice?

Where should we rent a car to maximize time?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It’s about an hour drive each way and then you’ll have to factor in some time to pick up, then gas and drop off the car, plus some buffer time to make sure you won’t be late. I hate organized shore excursions through the ship and piling onto a bus with a bunch of strangers but in this case it might be worth it. You’ll be able to enjoy yourself more knowing you won’t miss the ship and you’ll prob end up with more time to explore or free time to enjoy yourself.

• 2 months later...

We’ve rented cars each time in Hilo & easily made it back to the ship.

Going to VNP & Rainbow Falls are doable but use caution if venturing closer to the falls because there have been several deaths this year.

We book Enterprise through Costco for under $40 and use their off airport location. It’s about a third less than at their airport location, they provide transportation the short distance to their location and it’s located on the road to VNP.

• 4 weeks later...

I live on the Big Island. The port is about 3 miles to the airport where most of the rental cars are.

If you did not stop, you could drive the whole island in 5 hours.

Volcano national park is 30 miles from Hilo.

If you want to stay in Hilo area things to see: to Rainbow falls, Liliuokalani Gardens, Richardson's Beach Park with black sand about 1.5 miles from the port, Big Island Candies, Bay Front King Kamehameha Statue and Wailoa Art Center.

North of Hilo less than 30 miles is Umauma Falls with a maze and ziplining, Akaka Falls, Onomea scenic route with Botanical Gardens.

South you can go to Kalapana and see where the lava has covered the area and walk to the new black sand beach. Go to Pohoiki for the Lava boat tour