why do cruisers HATE certain ports?

Illinoisgal

The people of Key West would be more then happy if no cruise ship ever stopped there again.

That is another reason Key West blows. Did you know they actual staged a protest about a year and a half ago against tourism? Key West citizens encouraged each other to clog up the streets with their cars.

My parents have a home on Cudjoe Key right outside Key West and I sort of keep up with local politics.

I'm sorry but I'll take my tourist dollars to a location that is happy to have them.

What most Key West citizens don't realize is that 20 years ago Key West went from being one of the poorest cities in the US to recently one of the wealthiest thanks to tourists.

http://www.livableoldtown.com/protest_aimed_at_cruise_crowds.htm

BY TIMOTHY O'HARA

keysnews.com

tm41032.jpg

MIKE HENTZ/The Citizen

Bikers and breakers are in town in force filling up Duval Street shops, restaurants and bars. This time of year brings motorcyclists to town as a side trip to Daytona's Bike Week, and Key West is a popular spring break destination. On Thursday, passengers from five cruise ships will join the crowd.

KEY WEST — A political action group says it will stage a protest Thursday to stress the need for limiting the number of ships coming to Key West.

Livable Old Town is asking local residents to drive their cars on Lower Duval Street between 11 a.m. and noon in an attempt to show how much congestion can be generated on the island, said Elliot Baron, a founder of the group.

The ports of call are a big factor when I choose a cruise, but I'm pretty easy to please I guess. The only port I didn't enjoy was Ocho Rios about 10 years ago, but I think it was more because we didn't make a very good choice of excursions. So if we go back again I will try something totally different.

Other than that, I like to go to new places, so I look for itineraries with something fresh. We have done Nassau, St Thomas & St Maarten several times, so those are low on my list for the time being, but I really like certain things about each of them and will return. And I LOVE LOVE LOVE any private island. So, now I am seriously considering the new Carnival itineraries that go to Grand Turk & Half Moon Cay.

However, the most important factor for us is cruising with our buddies, so when you put 2 families preferences together, you never know what you're gonna come up with. They like big ships, we like smaller. They like all the activities, we tend to be lazier ;) Some of us like shopping, some like snorkeling, some drink, some don't, but we all love the beach and being spoiled rotten on a cruise. So, with a lot of research and a little compromise, no matter where we are we always have a BLAST!!

The ports of call are a big factor when I choose a cruise, but I'm pretty easy to please I guess. The only port I didn't enjoy was Ocho Rios about 10 years ago, but I think it was more because we didn't make a very good choice of excursions. So if we go back again I will try something totally different.

Other than that, I like to go to new places, so I look for itineraries with something fresh. We have done Nassau, St Thomas & St Maarten several times, so those are low on my list for the time being, but I really like certain things about each of them and will return. And I LOVE LOVE LOVE any private island. So, now I am seriously considering the new Carnival itineraries that go to Grand Turk & Half Moon Cay.

However, the most important factor for us is cruising with our buddies, so when you put 2 families preferences together, you never know what you're gonna come up with. They like big ships, we like smaller. They like all the activities, we tend to be lazier ;) Some of us like shopping, some like snorkeling, some drink, some don't, but we all love the beach and being spoiled rotten on a cruise. So, with a lot of research and a little compromise, no matter where we are we always have a BLAST!!

I am sponsering a group cruise to the new itineraries you mentioned, and would love if you wanted to join us.

Love Key West! Good beer, mojitos, sandwiches, & key lime pie.

NOW OT--I don't know you, but I've been thinking of your s/n for three days. We're having a drought here in central Texas and there has been a Great Blue Herron in my neighbors tank (that's Texan for pond) for about three days picking off the frogs as the water goes down. I recall someone asking about your screen name and why you had flamingos. I didn't keep up with that thread. So what is the story & if I can get a good photo of the Blue, do you want it?

Strange.

I was in Key west three months ago and found the locals to be very welcoming toward tourists. Its been a destination city for a lot longer then cruise ships have been gong there.

They have no problem with tourists, it's cruisers they don't like.

http://www.livableoldtown.com/Cruise%20Ship%20Debate.htm

I know sometimes a port may not have everything every cruiser was looking for, and have noticed some will say they won't go on XXXX cruise becuase one of the ports they don't like. DO you really let this bother you that much ? Just curious. I have been to Progresso, and I was not thrilled after visting but a) it is real Mexico as it isnt all pretty and resort like b) I would still take a cruise that had progresso on the list.

So please where would you not cruise and why.

I don't have any that I would not go back to, but my prefernce is to select cruises that have been to places that I have not cruised yet.

I can tell you that both Saba and Isle des Saintes are beautiful, but you have to be on a small line to get there. Virgin Gorda and Jost Van Dyke are also two wonderful stops that at lot fo the smaller lines hit. There is not a lot of anything at any of these but they are great places for doing nothing, except relaxing.

They have no problem with tourists, it's cruisers they don't like.

http://www.livableoldtown.com/Cruise%20Ship%20Debate.htm

Back in '01, our ship had to go to Key West in lieu of Montego Bay because of a deathly ill passenger that needed to get to an American hospital. Our ship stayed in port until after the sunset...Believe me between the ship making a trillion announcements about what an usual occurance this was...and how fortunate we were to be able to stay past sunset...That never happens, there's some law...yadda yadda yadda...gag, please, fortunate? We had a deathly ill passenger!! DH and I sat out on the pier during the sunset and all we listened to was griping about the ship being in the way.....One guy that was really being loud about it was a local, don't know about the few others. (We had talked to that guy prior to the point when it was going to be sundown time...he had been wondering why the ship was there, we told him of the situation. Apparently no compassion...and he could see the sunset tomorrow for pete's sake!)

It kind of turns you off, making you feel like a big boob for being on that ship....We went back on board. (Thankfully, we were updated later saying that the woman was in stable condition and expected to make a full recovery.)

We are going Nov 11th to the new ports :) I cant wait!! I will have ny official group web page up in a day or two. you will definatly have to let me know how it is

I'll post a review. My DW can't join me on theis trip so I am going solo but she has taught me well about the need for a review. In fact a plan to post a daily report.

Martinique, it's french puke.gif . Once was more than enough.

europe puke.gif for obvious reasons.

Making broad generalizations about people based on their race or nationality is discriminatory. And it makes someone look ignorant and bigoted. :( Is it any wonder so many people from other countries have a negative impression of Americans???

If you don't like a port for various reasons, I understand that. But to lambast entire countries and continents because of their nationalities is small-minded.

Making broad generalizations about people based on their race or nationality is discriminatory. And it makes someone look ignorant and bigoted. :( Is it any wonder so many people from other countries have a negative impression of Americans???

If you don't like a port for various reasons, I understand that. But to lambast entire countries and continents because of their nationalities is small-minded.

Momto, I didn't see where anything was said about the people... he made a comment on the locations... but not the people. MANY people agree and don't like France... there are many reasons that Americans might not like France... to each his or her own, does not make a person a bigot. And believe me, many French feel the same way about us and America ;)

I think you are reading into things a little more than how it was meant... to call someone a bigot because they don't like France???? :confused: That makes ALOT of people bigots I guess... however, I don't agree.

I think it was quite succinct that he didn't like Martinique simply because it was "French". And because "You cannot really make Martinique un-french". And he doesn't like the entire continent of Europe because ??? Again, how very conceited and small-minded. If someone has particular reasons why they don't like a port, well fine. But simply because of the nationality of its citizens? Or to dismiss a whole CONTINENT? Very bigoted. Very sad. Enough said.

I think it was quite succinct that he didn't like Martinique simply because it was "French". And because "You cannot really make Martinique un-french". And he doesn't like the entire continent of Europe because ??? Again, how very conceited and small-minded. If someone has particular reasons why they don't like a port, well fine. But simply because of the nationality of its citizens? Or to dismiss a whole CONTINENT? Very bigoted. Very sad. Enough said.

Well, I think we, as Americans, especially in the recent years, do indeed have reason NOT to not care so much for France. And no, I have NO desire to go there anytime in my near future. That is MY right to have that opinion. Doesn't make me a bigot, it makes me a proud American ;)

I have found something to enjoy about each port we have visited, some more than once. If I had to pick a "least favorite" it would be Martinique, but not because it's French. (The citizens do consider themselves part of France.)

My reason is because we, and three or four other busloads of people, took Carnival's most highly touted tour of the island and it was a big disappointment for most. The tour was too long with too few photo ops. People couldn't wait to get back to the ship. I did enjoy meeting the local people and I know the island has more to offer so, while it would be at the bottom of my list of places to return to, I'd still give it another try.

Okay then...reclaiming this hijaked thread for the greater good. This will be long and hopefully get everyone back on topic :)

I've been cruising a while and have done a Western Itin much more than eastern. Been to Ocho Rios and Montego Bay several times now. I can very safely say that unless the price is bottom barrel fantastic and it is a fabulous ship on a primo line - a cruise with Jamaica on it's schedule will be my absolute last choice, so much so I might chose to not cruise that particular week if that is the only thing available.

My problem with Nassau tends to be the length of time in port. Typically, unless you are on a shortie 3 or 4 day cruise, you only get 6 hours in Nassau. We love Stuart Cove's snorkel and dive trips but being on the other side of the island makes them too far to get there and back in time.

Key West. Maybe I have a sour taste in my mouth about it because my first marriage (unsuccessful) started there. But then we were on a Costa cruise and I have not crossed them off my list. Part of my dislike of KW is that it is American. It is not much different than any tourist or beachy type town in the US with Tee shirt shops, "head" shops, bars etc. I can do all that at home and save myself a lot of money. My folks live in the New Orleans area, KW smells like the French Quarter to me and trust me, it ain't pretty! My best friend dates a guy in Homestead and they weekend in KW a lot and she loves it. Swears by the Dry Tortugas for diving, etc. Again, time is a factor for visiting that too.

Typically I start looking at cruises based on my husbands available time off. Then we look into where it is leaving from. He flies a lot for his work so I have a SW companion pass and he has more flight coupons than he can use so I tend to check the FL ports first since we can fly nonstop to all of them from BWI. Then I check intinerary compared across comparable lines/ships. Then comes price. We typically have a pain threshold for how much we want to spend for what level of cabin but will go beyond it for a something spectacular at a great value.

We are open to trying new ships and cruiselines but almost always go for something with at least one new port unless it is a shortie, long weekend getaway - then anywhere will do!

Well, I think we, as Americans, especially in the recent years, do indeed have reason NOT to not care so much for France. And no, I have NO desire to go there anytime in my near future. That is MY right to have that opinion. Doesn't make me a bigot, it makes me a proud American ;)

Amen sister!!!!!! :)

Archived