why do cruisers HATE certain ports?

Illinoisgal

I find it's because they don't know enough about them, or rate the place on where the ship pulls in.

Some comment how bad a place is, when they never went more than a half a mile from the ship, or never left the ship at all.

Some post that, others read it, and they then *could* think the same thing.

But in answer to your question, I would not cruise to places my government advises me not to through travel advisories, or places I read where there are attacks on tourists. I believe that's one of the reasons the ships stopped sailing to Caracus/ La Guiere.

9875930.gif

I've never been to Martinique, and reading these blurbs are interesting. No one seems to be mentioning Gualaloupe.

Having been to France, after hearing how rude they could be if you don't speak their language, I found quite the opposite. Everyone was friendly, regardless of how many French words I could remember from French I and II.

I figured I'd find the same in Gualaloupe. Pulling in reminded me of the mountainous giants we call Hawaii. Kauaii and Maui specifically.

We got off, and started walking around. Never met a bunch of ruder people. Arrogant. Nasty. RUDE! The open meat market in the heat was a sight in itself.

But, instead of just getting back on the ship, we sought out a taxi tour guy, to take us to the "must see" places. He took us out of town, to the lush places. Lots of nature. We got that, and had a nice day. Lots of cane. Lots of RUM! :)

Would I recommend it? Yes. But you have to get out of town.

I don't even know if the line is sailing there anymore.

I think it was quite succinct that he didn't like Martinique simply because it was "French". And because "You cannot really make Martinique un-french". And he doesn't like the entire continent of Europe because ??? Again, how very conceited and small-minded. If someone has particular reasons why they don't like a port, well fine. But simply because of the nationality of its citizens? Or to dismiss a whole CONTINENT? Very bigoted. Very sad. Enough said.

The impression that he gives from reading these boards is that he is a very narrow minded person. I decided long ago that people like him are so afraid to open their minds to new experiences that it is not worth the effort it takes to show them what they are missing. Better to just ignore peopel like that.

Well, I think we, as Americans, especially in the recent years, do indeed have reason NOT to not care so much for France. And no, I have NO desire to go there anytime in my near future. That is MY right to have that opinion. Doesn't make me a bigot, it makes me a proud American ;)

I think it makes you narrow minded, and a prime example of why most of the world hates the American people.

most of the world hates the American people.
And this is bad, why? The world needs us more than we need them. Perhaps a strict isolationist policy is in order to prove the point? But first, throw out all of the illegals and overstayers. No exceptions, zero tolerance.

And this is bad, why? The world needs us more than we need them. Perhaps a strict isolationist policy is in order to prove the point? But first, throw out all of the illegals and overstayers. No exceptions, zero tolerance.

Come on Tef, don't you know we must love everyone, whether or not they love us, hate us, want to kill us, treat us like dirt.....lest we be called bigots?:rolleyes:

My parents went on the Southern Caribbean journey, and all ports, except for Martinique (where apparently their money wasn't good enough and everyone they interacted with was rude) were wonderful.

Come on Tef, don't you know we must love everyone, whether or not they love us, hate us, want to kill us, treat us like dirt.....lest we be called bigots?:rolleyes:
Political correctness is way overrated, and at this location, is against company policy.

I agree 100% with your assessment of the southern itinerary. It's important to note that the attitude of the Martinique locals pre-dates any political disagreements over the past 4+ years.

Love Key West! Good beer, mojitos, sandwiches, & key lime pie.

NOW OT--I don't know you, but I've been thinking of your s/n for three days. We're having a drought here in central Texas and there has been a Great Blue Herron in my neighbors tank (that's Texan for pond) for about three days picking off the frogs as the water goes down. I recall someone asking about your screen name and why you had flamingos. I didn't keep up with that thread. So what is the story & if I can get a good photo of the Blue, do you want it?

I would LOVE a great photo of a Blue Heron for my avatar! I couldn't really find one and thought the flamingos would be a good substitute.

I live between the ocean and a salt marsh and fell in love with these great birds years ago. They are so magnificent!

I would LOVE a great photo of a Blue Heron for my avatar! I couldn't really find one and thought the flamingos would be a good substitute.

I live between the ocean and a salt marsh and fell in love with these great birds years ago. They are so magnificent!

Here's a Shy poke for you. Hopefully the picture will work.....

200px-Lightmatter_greatblueheron2.jpg.e2ff07136c86e86d4571a9e65168c018.jpg

How do I change the avatar? I tried to copy but that isn't working?
Right-click and "Save picture as..." to your hard drive, then resize it and upload it to CC as your new avatar.

I have only been on one cruise so I am no expert.

I personally had a wonderful time in Freeport....went on a kayak and snorkel excursion at Petersen Caye...first time in a kayak and first time snorkeling.....it was great.

Nassau, I thought Nassau was fun, we did the Stingray at Pearl Island excursion....Hubby and Youngest daughter went snorkeling there after and oldest daughter and I laid on the beach.....afterwords we went to the Atlantis and checked out the aquariums.... did a little shopping in the market....it was a beautiful day.

My next cruise is in March....on the Miracle...I can't wait....been pouring over the excursions....decisions decisions.....Grand Cayman, Belize, Costa Maya and Cozumel.......I can't think of anything I would rather do.....mind you this is a mom and me cruise with my youngest and 4 other moms and daughters from girl scouts. I can't think of one possible thing I won't like.....snorkeling, cave tubing, biking, kayaking and swimming with dolphins and sea lions.

My other choice work in Wisconsin......

Hmmmmm.... no brainer.....no such thing as a bad port.

I personally had a wonderful time in Freeport....went on a kayak and snorkel excursion at Petersen Caye...first time in a kayak and first time snorkeling.....it was great.

Nassau, I thought Nassau was fun, we did the Stingray at Pearl Island excursion....Hubby and Youngest daughter went snorkeling there after and oldest daughter and I laid on the beach.....afterwords we went to the Atlantis and checked out the aquariums.... did a little shopping in the market....it was a beautiful day.

My next cruise is in March....on the Miracle...I can't wait....been pouring over the excursions....decisions decisions.....Grand Cayman, Belize, Costa Maya and Cozumel.......I can't think of anything I would rather do.....mind you this is a mom and me cruise with my youngest and 4 other moms and daughters from girl scouts. I can't think of one possible thing I won't like.....snorkeling, cave tubing, biking, kayaking and swimming with dolphins and sea lions.

I think it makes you narrow minded, and a prime example of why most of the world hates the American people.
Why is it perfectly all right for " most of the world to hate the American people", but if an American says they don't like another nationality everyone faints and calls them a bigot? :confused:

Why is it perfectly all right for " most of the world to hate the American people", but if an American says they don't like another nationality everyone faints and calls them a bigot? :confused:

I never meant to imply that either behavior was correct. I don't think it is allright for anyone to hate America, we are the most generous nation in history, but we should hold ourselves to higher standards.

Archived