Carnival Vista review - my review (Jan 21st 2018 sailing)

leite

Great review !!!! I'm a fellow Ontarian living just north of you. I usually fly Southwest out of Buffalo, but found decent flights out of Pearson for a change.

I'm heading out on the VIsta at the end of March. Can't wait !

Great review! You mentioned that you didn’t see others handing out envelopes at dinner, but I want to tell you you’re not alone. My family has the automatic gratuities in place then gives out envelopes to the wait staff on the last night. Also, we give $20 at the beginning of the cruise to our stateroom attendant and $20 at the end, like you did as well.

You have a great looking family and I’m glad your family has recovered from “the bug”.

Thanks for taking the time to write your review!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and adventure with us.

Thanks for reading it...

My goal is always to help others with my (limited) cruise experience, helping to pay back all the great advice I received here...

Great review !!!! I'm a fellow Ontarian living just north of you. I usually fly Southwest out of Buffalo, but found decent flights out of Pearson for a change.

I'm heading out on the VIsta at the end of March. Can't wait !

Hello neighbor, how are you enjoying the now storm today in our beautiful province???

What would you consider a decent price for flighting out of YYZ? I couldn't find anything under CAN 370.00 (direct flights) versus U$ 190.00 from BUF. When you add parking for the week (or taxi back and forth) in Toronto, it becomes too much.

Flying from Buffalo (Southwest) gives us 2 free bags per person plus the ability to buy stuff in the US on the way back (grocery, drinks, anything). It's a win-win for us.

I would really love to fly from Canada, but for a big family like us, the difference is too much...

Thanks for reading it...

You didn't go see the 2014 World Cup in person, did you? Cause if there was ever a reason to go back home...lol!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Forums mobile app

I sure did and even got to watch a game live: Brazil and Mexico in the first phase.

My wife and Gabriel got to watch Mexico and Netherlands (round on 16s) and even were on TV when the Netherlands scored the winning goal - lol.

Those games took place in my home city: Fortaleza.

Great memories!!!!

Thank you for sharing your cruise experience. It was very educational. :) Lovely family. I'm sorry to hear about the barfing.

Thank you.... It's the second they all get sick on a Carnival cruise: Gabriel and David in 2011 and Gabriel, David and Lucas now...

It won't turn us down for cruising again, but I'll be even more strict on washing hands often next time.

At least this time, it was only Gabriel for one day. When David and Lucas had it, the cruise was over.

Thanks....

Great review! You mentioned that you didn’t see others handing out envelopes at dinner, but I want to tell you you’re not alone. My family has the automatic gratuities in place then gives out envelopes to the wait staff on the last night. Also, we give $20 at the beginning of the cruise to our stateroom attendant and $20 at the end, like you did as well.

You have a great looking family and I’m glad your family has recovered from “the bug”.

Thanks for taking the time to write your review!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you.

Yes, I was surprised by that. I remember envelopes everywhere on our last two cruises before this one (Disney and Carnival).

I sure did and even got to watch a game live: Brazil and Mexico in the first phase.

My wife and Gabriel got to watch Mexico and Netherlands (round on 16s) and even were on TV when the Netherlands scored the winning goal - lol.

Those games took place in my home city: Fortaleza.

Great memories!!!!

*°*I'm not worthy! I'm not worthy!*°*

My dream is see a live World Cup match. There's a reason they call it "The Beautiful Game".

Sent from my SM-G930P using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the review! I really liked how you rated the dinners, and I got some great tips for our upcoming trip. Thanks again for taking the time.

Thank you...

This was my goal while writing the review and I'm glad it's going to help others.

Hello neighbor, how are you enjoying the now storm today in our beautiful province???

What would you consider a decent price for flighting out of YYZ? I couldn't find anything under CAN 370.00 (direct flights) versus U$ 190.00 from BUF. When you add parking for the week (or taxi back and forth) in Toronto, it becomes too much.

Flying from Buffalo (Southwest) gives us 2 free bags per person plus the ability to buy stuff in the US on the way back (grocery, drinks, anything). It's a win-win for us.

I would really love to fly from Canada, but for a big family like us, the difference is too much...

Thanks for reading it...

Snow Snow and more Snow !!!! 44 Days and counting until the Vista !!!

We didn't book until January 11 - so the lowest rate for us on Southwest was going to be $418 USD. I got $460 CDN return from Toronto - so this time it made sense. Also I'm a single woman - not a family - AND I had VISA gift cards from work - so it made sense this time.

We are from Niagara as well, we fly spirit to Fort Lauderdale from Niagara Falls New York, got really good deals this time for our feb 24th sailing on the Vista. $55/person round trip, we sail twice a year so we don't check a bag we only have the free personal item each. its a great deal, if you get your tickets at the airport you save the passenger usage fee of $75 for 2 ppl:cool:

Hi cruzinwoodsfamily, I realized forgot to reply to this comment. I have looked before at Spirit and Allegiant, from Niagara Falls, US. My concern with them is the same with Frontier (1 flight a day only) and the possibility of a cancelled flight and the issues to rearrange the 5 of us on a different flight.

I agree the savings can be huge..

Thanks for reading...

Snow Snow and more Snow !!!! 44 Days and counting until the Vista !!!

We didn't book until January 11 - so the lowest rate for us on Southwest was going to be $418 USD. I got $460 CDN return from Toronto - so this time it made sense. Also I'm a single woman - not a family - AND I had VISA gift cards from work - so it made sense this time.

It sure does...

Enjoy the Vista and please ensure you fly the day before :D

I'm glad/sad to see that I'm not crazy regarding our experience in Jamaica...AND that I'm not the only one who liked that turkey sandwich at the deli :D

I believe this was the spot were you had the :confused:look on your face, going the wrong direction.(or shall I say freak'n out)...LoL:o

Really enjoyed reading your review. Your family is awesome. We were on the Vista in November and thoroughly enjoyed the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

thanks for reading it.

We really liked it too. I just wish there more days in order to enjoy all the ship has to offer.

FRIDAY JAN 26th – SEA DAY

We got ready and went to Reflections for the Dr. Seuss breakfast.

For those who have been to Disney, this is a similar experience as a character breakfast there. They decorate part of the restaurant in Blue and Red (Reflections, same one we were using every night), have a special menu for that morning and 3 or 4 characters come every few minutes for pictures and their autograph (which is actually a stamp). Differently from Disney, you can’t take a picture with your camera, only with Carnival one to buy later (I don't know why, but I was thinking we could take pictures with our camera, maybe because we were paying extra for the breakfast? Wishful thinking...) . They also had a beautiful ice artwork of the Cat in the Hat by the exit of the restaurant.

You can see the menu here: https://www.carnival.com/~/media/Images/explore/fun-activities/menus/green-eggs-and-ham-breakfast-menu.pdf

As soon as we sat down in our round table, with the ship moving up and down more than any other morning on this cruise, Gabriel told us he would prefer to go back to the room. He told us he wasn’t 100% better and was getting dizzy and didn’t want to eat. David and Lucas only asked for a box of cereal each. Elane ordered the yogurt Parfait only and I asked for the filet mignon with fried eggs.

I didn’t think I was going to eat but the steak and eggs was so good, I forgot about the rocking, headache and ate it all. As Tales’ green eggs arrived to the table, Elane excused herself and left the restaurant :D.

That was just too much for her, the tip of the iceberg. I ended up eating her yogurt, which was delicious with fruits on top. Lara ordered the pancakes and didn’t touch them, so I had my third breakfast that morning. The pancakes were fresh and the whipped cream delicious.

So, for me, the breakfast was totally worth it :D, everything was excellent. For the other members of the family, not so much. Even though we had taken our “things shirts” (bought at Universal Studios), below is the only picture the whole family took together before Elane and Gabriel went back to the room.

enhance

I have a question about the Dr. Seuss Breakfast? Our kid is 24 yrs, also he is on his own and lives in Florida, so he will not be going with us on our 2 week Alaskan cruise in Aug on the Splendor. Now the question is, since my DW and I love Dr. Seuss would it be weird if we went to this breakfast.................................with no KID(s)? ......LoL:D

I have a question about the Dr. Seuss Breakfast? Our kid is 24 yrs, also he is on his own and lives in Florida, so he will not be going with us on our 2 week Alaskan cruise in Aug on the Splendor. Now the question is, since my DW and I love Dr. Seuss would it be weird if we went to this breakfast.................................with no KID(s)? ......LoL:D

Absolutely not weird... I saw a few tables with grown-up folks only and they were the ones hugging the characters with the most passion :D:D:D.

Go for it!!!!!