Does “FaceTime” Work OK Onboard Viking Ships?

harryw

Or are there reception problems?

I observed a woman doing it in the upper deck of the Explorer's Lounge. The reception in the cabins themselves was subpar but good in the WorldCafe, the Explorer's Lounge, and outside on our veranda.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, it will work. And your experience can easily vary widely from another person.

* How many others are using the wifi at the same time?

* You location. Some cabins will be great. Some will not. It all depends where the nearest router is and how much structure if between you and that router.

Yes, it will work. And your experience can easily vary widely from another person.

* You location. Some cabins will be great. Some will not. It all depends where the nearest router is and how much structure if between you and that router.

If you eat in the World Cafe on the starboard side near the crew station, you can see the WiFi Access Point (not a router, which is what the WAP connects to), up in the corner. Has 4 antennas poking out of the top.). I found access speed was excellent near it. But also too there is the issue of overall level of use that can impact what part of the overall bandwidth you get. I measured the speed at various times. Sitting in the World Cafe on the evening of the first day it was 1.33/2.63 Mbps (down/up). We were connected to an ISP in Miami still. More typical tho was a download of less than 0.5 Mbps and even less up (unforirnwlrj can't remember where I was - in our cabin, near the pool, in the Explorer's Lounge? at the time). Never bothered to measure when our ISP was a Maritime satellite.

Another factor to consider is the ISP being used. When in port, they connect (I'm presuming) to the nearest cellular tower and the associated internet service, which can be good to so-so to awful. When at sea it's via satellite and whatever ISP is on the other end of the satellite link. When we were in the Baltic, the ISP was in Madrid (Vodafone).