Panama Canal Which room would you choose?

Nevada Jen

I still struggling with this. Its me (47), Dad (69) and Son (13). On the Miracle. 8 day cruise with 4 or 5 sea days. We definitely want a suite. Would you choose an Ocean Suite that sleeps 4 and is sandwiched between cabin decks and gives you 50 more square feet and is close to the front of the ship? Or a Vista suite that is 50 feet smaller inside but a much bigger balcony, only sleeps 3 and is all the way at the back of the ship. It is on deck 8 which is under the Serenity area (and pool). It almost looks like people on Serenity can look down into your balcony from the deck plan.

I am completely torn on this. Which would you choose and why?

Choose the larger balcony if you think you will spend a lot of time on it on your sea days. but don't book it because of the canal. You will want to be out and about on the ship during the transit. Staying on your balcony you only get 30% of the view/activity. Actually, a side balcony is better if you have to have a balcony. EM

We're doing the same itinerary on the Miracle this year. We chose an aft extended balcony. We plan to be on the balcony for part of the transit, probably coming out of the canal. We plan on being up on deck for the way into the canal.

One thing to think of is when booking with 3 people, if you book a cabin for 4, if they need the cabin for 4 people, you can be bumped to a different cabin. It would be better to book a cabin for 3 and not worry about that. With that said, when my daughter used to cruise with us, we have booked a cabin for 4 and never been bumped. It was just a warning our PVP gave us.

I didn't even think about getting bumped for a group of 4. Hopefully they won't do that! I still cannot decide. Its the bigger room and mid ship that is keeping me in the Ocean Suite. Its $400 more for the Vista Suite. Ugh. Still can't decide. And there is only one Vista Suite left.

I'd go with the Vista Suite. I've stayed in them and they are very nice. As others have said, you get a better view of the canal transit process from forward Lido, but a VS cabin is absolutely fabulous for the amount of balcony you get. The best part being you can get refuge from the sun, some privacy, a view forward, and a breeze with the side portion of it. Something aft balconies lack. PLUS you get a 270° view, something no other cabin class has.

Personally I wouldn't recommend an aft balcony as all you can see is where you went. Probably the worst choice for a canal transit, plus the heat, lack of privacy and no shade.....

Edited by LostPuppy

That is what is holding me back. The Vista that is left is aft. Like the row of cabins at the back of the ship that faces backward. Does anyone know, is the bedroom "separate" in the Ocean suite on the Miracle?

IIRC only the aft wraps have a separate bedroom.

Just know that the aft Miracle can be a bit bouncy at times. Some love it, others hate it.

That is what is holding me back. The Vista that is left is aft. Like the row of cabins at the back of the ship that faces backward. Does anyone know, is the bedroom "separate" in the Ocean suite on the Miracle?

Not sure of your thought process but:

• All Vista suites on the Miracle are what people refer to as an "aft wrap", meaning the majority of the balcony is aft, but has a side portion that wraps around the port/stbd side giving you a view forward, shade, privacy, and a breeze. There are only 10 of these cabins on the Miracle.
  • Vista Suites have four rooms (LR, BR, bath, vanity).
  • Ocean Suites have three rooms, (BR, bath, vanity).
  • Aft Extended cabins are normal balcony cabins (2 rooms) that face aft, they have a slightly larger balcony, but most of that is under the railing and is effectively unusable.

Ditto that...during the transit, if you stay on your balcony, you will miss 3/4's of the sights!

We did the partial transit. We did not get off in the lake to go on an excursion. Our goal was to ride thru 2 times - both in and out.

We were in a port side balcony so going in we had Colon on our side and in the distance we could see the new locks complete with a huge super container ship going into them. (take binocs). Going into Gatun Lake we were out and about the ship. Coming back out we were on our own balcony because we were in the right handed locks with a container ship in the left hand locks next to us going the same way. Totally awesome

Google for Webcams (the Atlantic opening is called Gatun - the Pacific is Miraflora

At this point I might just have to flip a coin. I was literally getting on here to write that if there was money in my mailbox when I got home tonight I would switch to a Vista Suite. But then I started typing and was going to say, "Ugh. The bumps don't sound good. I will stick with my Ocean Suite mid forward." I might just have to let the boys pick. If I get home and there is money in my mail box.