Australian power board/strip suggestions for NCL escape

mattson

Hi there,

I'm looking for some suggestions from any Australians whom may have travelled on an American cruise like, and used a power board/strip, for a compatible unit.

In the past, we took a travel adapter and converter for a power board/strip, however our last cruise in 2015, our board was confiscated because it contained a surge protector, now I have since come to understand the reasoning behind the confiscation... But I'm wondering what the solution is?

Looking for any makes/models/links to products anyone may have used on an NCL boat (escape in particular) and had no trouble with it?

Cheers,

Matt

Hi, perhaps all you will need is a simple 220V adapter plug (should find them on eBay and/or Amazon, or your local electrical/electronic stores) to fit your typical "V" shape Aussie plugs ??

See the upper right pictures uploaded with those little 2 prong plugs - they are available for the typical 220 and 110 volts outlets on NCL ships.

The Escape has 2 of each (see upper left picture) - smartphone/iPad/iPhone chargers are auto-sensing, dual-voltage charging, works on both 110 & 220 - same is true for almost all Android smartphones/tablets ... just a simple adapter/converter plug will do. You really don't need a transformer device to convert the voltage, IMO.

For multiple USB charger, consider a quality high-outlet, multi-port USB charger (mine - Anker is older with just 4 "ports" putting out 2.1A each, newer/bigger ones has 6 ports putting out 3A each.

If you need a longer reach, pickup a 6' or 10' simple extension cord - they are stocked here just about everywhere, including those 99 cents or Dollar stores - without the surge protector/switch. I have a simple & short one, 10+ years old from local Ikea store (kitchen/accessories section).

Or, you can get a 10' or 15' USB extension cord, as that will run your charging device from bedside. Ships like the Gem & Dawn that has recently gone thru dry dock has been upgraded with LED bedside lamps with an USB charging port, very nice & easy.

Just remember to unplug them when out of the stateroom, as Room Stewards are instructed to disconnect unattended ones in use as part of their daily servicing routines thru their assigned cabins, as a matter of safety, fire hazard & best practices.

It's fairly easy to setup to have 4 outlets on the Escape, and there's a hidden & less known outlet for use, if needed. (really, unnecessary for the average CC'er)

5642bf58e26804d48503d5b8d5ae395e.jpg

638b9be20bf09832b37c305080662af1.jpg

Edited by mking8288

Yes, for electronics that use a USB for charging, any multi-USB hub that has a two-prong plug is not surge protected, no matter what the manufacturer says, so if you get one with an Oz plug, use a simple plug adapter to the Euro 220v two pin outlet. Any power strip without a surge protector would be fine, I think mking has one in one of his photos. Here they run around $6US, but if you get an Oz one, and use a plug adapter, just check the packaging for words like "joules of protection" or "clamping voltage", or small LED's saying "protected". If there's none of that, the power strip is not surge protected.