Opinions needed! Serenade or NCL Breakaway for mid June Baltic cruise

the2006Junket

Hi all,

I'm holding cabins on two Baltic cruises for mid June 2018 and would appreciate any opinions or pros/cons of the two ships or itineraries. We are a husband, wife and 18 yr old son traveling together. Here are the options:

Breakaway: 9 night roundtrip from either Copenhagen or Rostock going to Berlin/Rostock, Helsinki, Two days in St. Pete, Tallinn, Stockholm, Copenhagen. 2 sea days. Holding a Haven Penthouse with Balcony.

Serenade of the Seas: 10 nights from Copen, Arhus, Berlin/Warnemunde, Helsin, 3 days in St. Pete, Tallinn, end in Stockholm. 1 sea day. Holding a Grand Suite.

I understand the clear benefit of 3 days in St. Pete vs. 2. I also understand the benefit of a smaller ship with lines for getting on/off the ship in ports (hence why we reserved Haven on the Breakaway, for priority boarding).

Welcome opinions on how great Arhus, Denmark as a port visit? What does one do with a 3rd day in St Pete? Comments on the ship conditions, food, quality of staff and entertainment between the two ships? And, which would be more fun for an 18 yr. old guy stuck traveling with just Mom and Dad.

Thanks much!!!

Lynne

Did the Breakaway on that Baltic itinerary last year, staying in the Haven. I recommend it highly.

Comparing it to the Serenade trip, I enjoy the sea days, so I'd gladly trade a day in SPB for day at sea. SPB was a once in a lifetime experience, but the requirement to be in a tour got tiring after 2 days. Plus, you miss out on Helsinki, which was wonderful. Do the NCL trip!

As for your 18 year old son, after spending time in Copenhagen, Stockholm, and these other places, he'll want to move to this region permanently. Given the choice of 1 more day in SPB vs 1 more day at sea, in my opinion, he'd have more fun on the ship than another day of a guided tour in SPB....especially if/when he finds new friends on the ship.

We did the Getaway Baltic last June. We were in the haven which we loved (and we liked the ship alot). We missed going to Berlin, and Estonia, and were delayed in Russia. We were also not able to get into Stockholm but ported in Nyhansan (sorry for incorrect spelling!). This was a total drag and we paid extra for this itinerary when I secretly believe NCL knew they would never be able to get around the archipelago. If we did it again I would totally choose a smaller ship as the whole point was to see the ports. I was very disappointed to miss Estonia, as I probably won't have the opportunity again. Other ships were able to dock although we were not. It was a bitter pill to swallow!

I don't know if the Breakaway is any smaller than the Getaway but man, if I could do it over I would choose the ship that gets into the ports.

I can't speak for the ship, but you can get a sea day on any cruise. Going to St Petersburg is basically a once in a lifetime experience and 3 days there is still not enough time to see this magnificent city and surroundings. Go over to the Northern Europe/Baltics port of call board and see what people will tell you about having 3 days in St Petersburg. Book with any of the several main private tour companies and they will plan out your 3 day stay, plus, if you want, several offer a day trip to Moscow for that 3rd day. We also love our sea days, but how can you prefer a sea day to going to Russia and St Petersburg.

PLUS, starting in Copenhagen and ending in Stockholm is great. Spend a day or two pre and post cruise as these cities are also, just not made for a few hours there. See Tivoli Gardens at night, spend time at the Vasa Museum in Stockholm. You won't be sorry--do the latter.

Cheers

Len