4 ships in port?

calmpets

I just discovered that the day I am slated to be in Costa Maya on the NCL Pearl, there are three other ships scheduled: NCL Breakaway, Allure of the Sea, and the Rotterdam. Can four ships actually dock in Costa Maya, especially when two are megaships? I can't recall ever seeing more than two ships there at a time on any of my visits, and my online search was inconclusive.

What day are you in port? Pier is designed to handle 2 large and 1medium size ship. Long pier everyone has to walk down, has shallow shore to about 1/4 way up from cruise port complex.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Adding check both cruisett.com and cruisetimetables.com. Both fairly reliable but can be out of date, especially for future out years.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

You did not list the date, but I have not seen 4 ships in Costa Maya at once. I would assume that one would have to tender or one ship is arriving in the morning and leaving by 1:00 pm or so and another arrives after that and stays later. Possibly the 2 NCL ships splitting the day and sharing the same docking location?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I will be there March 8, 2019. I looked up the port traffic on cruisecal dot com, and all four ships are slated to be there at the same time. Two arrive at 7am, and two arrive at 8am.

I wouldn’t worry too much yet, since that is over a year away and those sites are not 100% accurate. You could always check the schedules of the ships listed as being in port on the cruise line websites to see if they match up.

If there are 4, I believe one ship would need to use tenders, since there is not room for 4 large ships to dock currently. I guess they could be expanding the pier, but I haven’t seen anything on it.

Whether 3 or 4 will be there, it will be crowded. I would book any non-ship excursions as soon as you know what you want to do and they begin accepting reservations for that date.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A cruisetimetables also shows 4 ships with one being the RCCL's Allure of the Seas. I would assume that will dock on the outside leg of the L, and the Breakaway on the inside L. ( or maybe viceversa) with the HAL ship and the Pearl fending for space on the long pier from the port. Agree with JT whether it's 3 ships or 4 ships, it will be crowded. If you want a beach spot at Maya Chan or Almaplena, make ressies early. Same if you want a ruins tour through Native Choice. Or give Steve Ohl at Tropicante a heads up to reserve loungers at Tropicante (no charge, ala carte).

• 4 weeks later...

In Dec 2017 we were there with Allure, Celebrity, and us on Pearl. My DH noticed that at the end of the pier they seemed to be setting up for an expansion. Lots of pertanant equipment and at least a dozen workers. Not sure on any of this, but would be a thought since this port is getting its far share of cruise ship activity.