4.29.2018 NCL Pearl to Alaska live writeup- and I don’t even sail for 75 days!

Weetahbugdotcom

Oh noooo! I didn't have my DSLR for Alaska (*sob*) but when we visited Nugget Falls it was very misty and not only that but there was a lot of spray from the falls. I had to put my iPhone up and we used hubby's iPhone which was newer than mine and waterproof. It is definitely something to think about on a misty/rainy day. I hope everything comes out ok!

I have a nice breakfast of eggs in moderno, with a Bloody Mary, and explored the ship some more before my facial.

I also have the UBP and plan to take full advantage of it, including Bloody Marys at breakfast--but how does that work? Can you get one at the buffets, or do you go somewhere else to get it and bring it back? I didn't see Moderno listed as an option for breakfast, but since that's where you went, I'm obviously missing something. :confused:

Also, how's your camera today???

I also have the UBP and plan to take full advantage of it, including Bloody Marys at breakfast--but how does that work? Can you get one at the buffets, or do you go somewhere else to get it and bring it back? I didn't see Moderno listed as an option for breakfast, but since that's where you went, I'm obviously missing something. :confused:

Also, how's your camera today???

I don’t know if you can get it at the buffet but you can bring it to the buffet! Moderno is for haven (and maybe suite?) guests for breakfast. I am just a lowly plebe, but they gave me a lot of extras for setting up the meet and greet so I get breakfast there and I have been using it!

Spoiler alert: my camera eventually recovered, let’s hope it stays that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the awesome trip report! We are going on the Pearl in August and are doing many of the same things including driving ourselves to the Yukon while in Skagway, so I can't wait to see how that part of your trip is!

Glad your camera recovered!! Duly noted as I have a Canon Rebel as well. Thanks so much for posting daily menus!! This is exactly what I was hoping to find for the beginning of the season!! Enjoying this so much!! Thanks!

Day 4: Skagway

Every single night I have been on vacation (including Seattle) I have passed out diagonal on the bed with the lights on and all sorts of electronics and papers all over the bed. This night was no different.

f7010ae8a696d94ff396133eaf013548.jpg

The view from my balcony, above, let me know that there was potential for a nicer day than yesterday. Unfortunately, my camera now would not even turn on, so iphoneography it was gonna have to be.

I didn’t have time for a sit down breakfast so I ran to the great outdoors and filled up a plate with scrambled eggs and potatoes. Unfortunately I realized the potatoes were actually hash (with meat in it) so I only ate half my plate. It was time for priority disembarkation (I love this!) so I skeedaddled over there and I was the first one off the ship.

bda8109dea2d23f0db00eaf76ba5f6e8.jpg

Upon leaving the shop, many stones are painted with the names of ships and captains that have been here before.

You will also pass the white pass railway train, a popular tour.

But we are going to take our own tour.

Off it was for the maybe 1/2 mile walk to Avis where I had rented a car for around $150. The process was smooth, the people were nice, and soon I was on my way.

I made a map ahead of time and saved it with a bunch of pins to my google map. The destinations were by and large from Murray’s Guide. (http://*****************)

I have AT&T and I have roaming turned off, so pretty much one I left Skagway, there was no service. Which also means that my map looked like a big green blob, but not to worry, there’s really only one road and if you have pins on your map, you will know where to stop! You just might not know why unless you match it up to the guide or have your locations saved offline.

This next part is going to be very picture heavy.

First stop, gold rush cemetery. This was the first cemetery in Skagway, with a lot of famous locals of the gold rush buried here. It’s a weird right hand turn that doesn’t seem like you are going the right way as you cut through a sort of industrial area, but you are.

The grave “stones” are mostly made of wood, many are reproductions, and many of them are surrounded by fences that look like baby cribs.

Soapy Smith, a local mobster, and the man who killed him are all here.

There are also some unknowns buried here, one a hapless bank robber who accidentally blew himself up with dynamite. They say all that was left was his head.

More graves:

https://instagram.com/p/BiYYlhZh3Sb/

https://instagram.com/p/BiYalHCBg_L/

https://instagram.com/p/BiYbCvQhRBb/

Up a ways from this hilly graveyard is Lower Reid falls. You can’t get all the way up, but it’s a nice, bucolic view.

https://instagram.com/p/BiYZgjEBzxk/

https://instagram.com/p/BiYYlyKh-bH/

Back in the car I go.

I am waaaaaay too lazy to describe every stop I made. So I will post a ton of photos, talk about some of them, and if anyone has questions about any of the others, speak up!

I will say this- from Skagway to part of Canada, there was an insane amount of snow on the ground. It slowly got less and less, until there was none, further north.

Ok. Photo time.

For most of the driving, I was alone and didn’t see many other people. Sometimes, though, I saw other people. What’s going on behind this outhouse?

This was going on.

Congrats to these two, it was a beautiful spot, I do hope they have a sense of humor to tell their kids someday that they were 10 feet from a portajohn, though. I bet that’s good luck.

Thank you so much for the great review and the beautiful pictures. We are doing the same cruise in July and this is making me more excited which is something I didn't think could happen!

Hope you had a great cruise, loving all the pictures. When you have time can you post the dailies from days 5, 6 and 7?

Yup! Coming home slowed me down, going to try to post a bunch more info tonight!

Anxiously awaiting the rest! :)

:) it’s coming. Life got in the way a little- work is nuts and my little friend Pumpkin Decided that 10 minutes before I was supposed to return to work was as good of a time as any to start peeing blood. (He seems to feel ok, is managing to empty his bladder even though it’s hard, and is under a vets care, we are waiting on some test results, hopefully just an infection.)

183d3ca7c0241993fa17017bd07138cb.jpg

(And here he is right before I left on my last cruise.)

33752ec28c96c225455d24880a075b11.jpg

86591deb6a26e7a4afbe85255feb0c9e.jpg

What a beautiful kitty, wishing him the best for a speedy recovery. I have one that had the same symptoms, it was a urinary tract infection.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

Thank you! He really is special (although he seemed to miss me the least.)