Wine or not?

GotMINI

I bought a bottle of O'Donnell's Irish Cream today from Aldi's. I am mentioning this by name because it actually is sold as a wine at the store and I'm wondering if Carnival would consider it a wine and allow me to bring it on board or not since it is different from a true Irish cream liquor. Thoughts anyone?

I love Bailey's. But when I saw this bottle (for only $9!) today I thought I'd give it a try. On the bottle itself, it states that it is a "wine speciality" and the ingredients are simply "grape wine with whey neutral spirits" (which is actually a by-product from making cheese, which I guess gives it the creamy taste/texture. Bailey's on the other hand is made with "Irish whiskey and cream."

I know exactly what you are referring to and I think it should be fine. It is basically wine. You might have to explain it though and depending on the agent you could have an issue. I assume you haven't tried it yet? Wondering how it tastes?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is highly subjective and depends who is checking your bottle.

You should be fine if you point out the label which says 'Grape wine'.

The less than 15% alcohol content puts it squarely in the 'middle alcohol wine' category.

If I were you I would say, this is a Irish wine with cream and has lower alcohol content than other liquors, similar to wines (though Bailey's is at 17%).

To answer a bunch of questions: I know it's not Baileys and that's fine. I wasn't seeking this out but happened to notice it in the store today. I haven't tried it yet, but it does have a pretty good write-up. I figured for $9 it was worth trying; which I will probably do sometime over next few days. I figure it's also worth the risk of taking a new bottle of it with me (if it's decent) - I'd explain the wine to the agent as I'm sure I'd be asked. I even have a write-up printed out that I'd keep with my paperwork. If they gave me a hard time about it, and confiscate it from me, oh well - it wasn't that expensive. I would have ordered a bottle of Bailey's to be delivered to my cabin for the week, but they do not offer it. I had previously checked that. So, I'd have to buy individual Bailey drinks (I don't drink much and the Cheers package is not at all worth it for me). It's not a must have for me, but thought it might be a nice to have.

I'd explain the wine to the agent as I'm sure I'd be asked. I even have a write-up printed out that I'd keep with my paperwork. If they gave me a hard time about it, and confiscate it from me, oh well - it wasn't that expensive.

Please come back and report on what happens with it.

Thank you.

I had a bet with a friend of mine that there was no way she would get a 3 liter box of wine on the ship in Galveston. She won. There were 3 people in her cabin, and though the rules are 1 750 mL bottle per person, the person checking couldn't math (or was over it by then and just let them go). I agree with the others..it's going to depend on who you get and what kind of mood they're in.

Good luck. I had a hard time convincing an agent at the port of Galveston that Sangria is wine!

What is it then if it's not wine? I always thought Sangria was a blend of cheap wines with fruit added.