Carnival mysterious booking practices..

txtravelerfamily

Just tried calling Carnival for an upgrade from 3-person 8b Balcony to Captains Suite, said it was not available. Just checked the website with 5 guests and there's one left....

Well I guess that answers my question! Good to know, and thanks for reporting it here.

I feel like travel companies such as Cruises/Air Industry etc... have caught on with the last minute booking practices and actually refuse offering sales for this exact reason.

Maybe. I have yet to get a price drop close to a cruise sail date, if anything, just see them go up. We have Thanksgiving booked this year as well, and the prices are climbing. I typically book early and not think to much about it. Since I have a guarantee cabin for this cruise, I've become intrigued with how cabins get booked.

Mysterious. Why can' t 2 people or 3 people or 4 book the most expensive suite .

One reason is that there's more to revenue than the cabin price. The larger cabin set up for four or five is priced with the expectation of how much all those individuals will spend onboard. So, two people in that large cabin meant for four/five, even if they pay the "extra" fare of the non-existent other passengers, would deny the cruise line the onboard purchase revenue that would've been associated with the other passengers meant to be in the cabin.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

One reason is that there's more to revenue than the cabin price. The larger cabin set up for four or five is priced with the expectation of how much all those individuals will spend onboard. So, two people in that large cabin meant for four/five, even if they pay the "extra" fare of the non-existent other passengers, would deny the cruise line the onboard purchase revenue that would've been associated with the other passengers meant to be in the cabin.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

But if the other 3 are children, the revenue potential decreases anyway. My husband and I gamble a lot, but my teen girls hardly spend anything on board.