Honest Cap'n, I will get off the ship!!

Danno

I find myself in BC in early September at a hotel very near the pier...I have never had the opportunity to tour the new M class ships.

My question...if I prearrange it, has anyone ever been able to tour a ship without being a passenger on that sailing.

The reason I am interested is, I have this notion that I don't like this class of ship icon_frown.gif...I'm only basing this on the lousy colour scheme and the fact that I prefer smaller rather than larger ships. I would very much like to see one before deciding to spend the money on booking one of them

Dan

CenturyX1,GalaxyX2,HorizonX5,VolendamX1,

Zenith to Bermuda Oct/04

Century to E.Caribbean Feb/05

**email mrtnb(at)efni(dot)com

My only experience is pre-9/11, and cruise lines all stated that no visitors were allowed. Passengers on board, however, could ask to get passes from the Purser's office. I had my brother and sister-in-law join us for tea in Newport on board. Since then, it has been stated that NO ONE wuld be allowed on board. That said, I did see "visitors" on every cruise since- most seemed to be friends of the officers or VIP guests of the line. If you don't qualify that way (never hurts to ask the line), ask your TA if they are having a FAM tour (familiarization tour) for travel agents. My former TA invited me in the past to go on various ships with him when they docked in San Francisco. Not sure this is "allowed" but I was given "TA credentials." Sort of the back door, but worth a try too. Good luck. "M" class comment: I had only sailed on smaller ships (800-1000 pax.) until the Infinity in 2000. I was dreading the large ship experience. Have to admit that Celebrity got it right, because I never felt overwhelmed by crowds or long lines. Sort of like a city, you end up only seeing the few hundred or so passengers that happen to be "in your routine," those that have drinks at the same bar before dinner, are at late seating, and go dancing after, for instance. If you can't get on for a visit, take the leap!

Blazer Boy

Good Luck with that. We have never had any luck. With all the new security things, it is harder than ever.

We have been on the Mercury 6 times, Infinity twice and the Millie twice. Not much difference to us. I think you will like the M Class ships as well. We just got off the Infinity a couple of weeks ago and booked the Mercury to Mexico. Same great food and clean ships and friendly, helpful staff icon_smile.gif

Just bring your tools and say you came to do some body work on her.

NBP [7<sup>2</sup>=49]

Boten, you're always good for a laugh - newtocc

Boten, I want to speak with Mrs. Boten. NOW - brigittetom

Danno, worth a try but here is an alternative. This company (link: http://www.virtualtoursusa.com/galleryships.htm )offers on line virtual tours of many cruise ships. Both Summit and Infinity are offered. We've been on Millie and Summit and doing Infinity next Feb. We love the ships, but each his own.

Carnival Ecstasy, March 1993

Celebrity Millennium, Caribbean, Jan 2002

Coral Princess, Panama Canal Feb. 2, 2003 (Review)

Celebrity Summit, Alaska Land (Land Tour Review) & Sea (Cruise Review), Aug. 15,2003

Navigator of the Seas, Family Reunion, March 13, 2004

(Review)

Celebrity Infinity, Valparaiso(Santiago), Chile to Fort Lauderdale, via Panama Canal, Feb. 27, 2005

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2005;2;27;21;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

They no longer offer tours of ships on most ever line. However, if you know people who have a status in the company, they might let you go onboard.

Luxury lines are less strict. I met the secretary of the president of RSSC, and even she could arrange a tour for me when the ship was here in San Diego.

Good luck. I've tried this twice and both times was told NO. One time I was on the ship that docked next to the one I wanted to tour, even had my seapass and was still told no. I even tried the cruise staff on the ship I was on to see if one of them could get me on and no luck.

To ease your mind however about the M class ships, they are great. I've been on the Galaxy and the Millie and would sail either in a heartbeat (booked on the Summit for March already). Like another person said, they got it right with the M class. Lots of nice features with being too glitzy or big feeling.

And Danno while the M class ships are bigger the capacity of passengers is only 100 more people than Galaxy and the same as Century.

Very similiar public areas just more space to accomodate everyone. I have been on Mercury, Infinity and Summit and while I prefer M class I thought the Mercury was a lovely ship. So much so we are booked on Galaxy in Oct.

Hope you get a chance to see M class up close and personal.

Karen & Paul

kmbix56@wmconnect.com

8_3_23.gif

http://community.webshots.com/album/124134511FOjEih

Infinity

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;06;27;17;45;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Galaxy B2B 10/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;10;16;17;45;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Mercury 03/04

Radiance 01/04

Summit 09/03, Infinity B2B Hawaii 03/03,Infinity 10/02,

Maasdam 07/02, Sun Princess 03/02,Maasdam 11/01,Statendam 07/01,Dolphin 1990?

I think it's time to give up...I have talked to several parties at X and it seems that security is the issue, no surprise. So be it...these people have enough work to do without me complicating an already VERY BUSY day.

So I'll wander down to the pier and daydream about what might have been... icon_frown.gif.

Dan

CenturyX1,GalaxyX2,HorizonX5,VolendamX1,

Zenith to Bermuda Oct/04

Century to E.Caribbean Feb/05

**email mrtnb(at)efni(dot)com

Archived