Cruising with a cheapskate: Review of NCL Epic 3/31-4/7 2018

drewsmom123

Next, I ventured out into the water while DH kept the chair warm- he says he is people watching- I am aware that he is bikini watching. The water was pretty cold, and I was really glad to have my doodle (an inflatable Noodle), so I could just float. I had my Walmart Yeti in hand with the Doodle under my arms, it was the perfect way to spend the afternoon. While floating I met a very nice family, the mom was very impressed with my bring your own float, so I loaned her one and we struck up a conversation about number of cruises and how to pick where to go. I mentioned my CC obsesion and this blog. She said that I should write about how there should be planned activities for an 18 year high school student. She explained that there really isn’t anything for her DD to do. She couldn’t go to the teen club because it is for 17 and under and even if they were comfortable signing for her to drink there really wasn’t a good way for her to meet others her age. I told her I would definitely explore that issue. That afternoon I went to customer service for the first time to check on my strawberries and while there I filled out a comment card for the hotel manager about the mom’s request. Before bedtime that day, I received a message from Nelson Martins, the hotel Director, saying he had read my request and since the Daily had already been printed for the following day he couldn’t do anything right away, but for the following day there would be a young adult get together. The following morning I got a call from Andre the Cruise Director assuring me that there would be something planned for the 18-21 year olds. I was very impressed and sure enough in the Day 4 daily, there was an Informal Social for 18-21 year olds in the Bliss lounge. I didn’t see that family again, but I hope the DD made some new friends and had a great cruise.

DH eventually joined me for a swim and then we were ready for lunch. We chose the taco stand. They had beef, chicken, and fish tacos, with fresh salsa and guacamole. We waited in line for about 30 minutes, it was all you can eat so we got several each. DH had all 3 kinds, I tried beef and fish. They were all very good - fish was my favorite.

After another swim we were ready to head back to the ship. The food stations were closed by 2:30. There were lots of shady spots to hang out in.

We were in the tender line at 2:50 and waited for about 10 minutes. The staff was handing out cool cloths and punch while we waited in line. I thought GSC was a great stop. They had all the amenities needed for a great day at the beach. We aren’t big beach people, so hanging out for one afternoon was perfect.

Once back on board we went to our room to drop off stuff then went upstairs to check out what was happening. The pool deck was already pretty crowded, so we headed to the front of the ship to check out the upper decks. On the way there I decided to check out the green slide. It was pretty fast. For the upper decks there is one elevator on the right side facing the Great Outdoor buffet that just goes to Deck 18- it is possibly the slowest one on the ship. It was practically empty except out in the front, where there are some very nice cushy chairs. We also went up to deck 19 which is not much bigger than our state room. The “bathing suits required” sign was still there and there were about 4 teenagers lounging around in the 5 or so chairs. We found a great spot in the good chairs on 18. There was a waiter that came around occasionally and a couple of officers came around with a plate of fruit kabobs. There isn’t a bar up there so you have to wait or go back down to 15. No pool either, however, there was shower that was nice and cold- we cooled off there a couple of times.

After a while, we relocated to deck 16 for sail away, by the time we were out of site of the island we practically had the place to ourselves.

We went to the Garden Cafe for Easter dinner and to find the pool tables. DH and I play on a league back home and he likes to play when we are on vacation. Tables were $2 and the sway of the ship really only had a minimal effect. Then back to the room to change clothes so we could go to a couple of shows. We did not have tickets to the Newlywed Not so Newlywed game, so we got in the standby line, I’m pretty sure that everyone who waited in line, got in. There was bar service and a couple of waiters going around, but I would suggest bringing one with you. Andre was the host and he did a great job, it was hilarious. There was a young couple who had only been married 2 days and her parents were traveling with them. It was interesting to see how we would have answered the questions that were asked. We know each other pretty well.

Afterwards we tried a new bar, where DH found his new favorite drink. We asked for shots of Fireball, but the bartender suggested Fireball and RumChata. DH loved it, he ordered it several other times.

We did have reservations to Burn the Floor at 9:30 in the Epic Theatre. There were plenty seats left by the time the show began. NCL hires an outside company to put on the Broadway style show. It was very good, the dancers and musicians were all great. We were bed early again.

Take away Day 2- very thankful for good weather- wouldn’t have wanted to miss GSC, if you have a suggestion go to customer service and fill out a card- what can it hurt?, you don’t have to have reservations for the shows- the stand by lines work, if at first you don’t succeed in locating a deck chair- just keep looking.

Day 3 Sea Day

We slept in and then went to the buffet for breakfast. The pool deck was already very crowded. Lots of “saved” chairs and lots of people. We had decided to walk afterwards so I opted for a bowl of oatmeal and some fruit I tried a Bushwhacker, I liked the mudslide better. The jogging track is on deck 7, it runs a partial length of the ship and back, there are lifeboats obstructing the view of the ocean. Not my favorite set up for walking. We walked 2 miles- 3.8 laps = a mile.

We visited the fitness center on deck 14, I thought walking on a treadmill while looking out would be great, it turns out vertigo doesn’t like motion in 2 directions at the same time. The center was however, very nice. There seemed to be just about any kind of exercise device that you could possibly need. There was a kettle bell class going on and sign ups for person coaches. That was enough working out for me.

Our CC Meet and Greet was at 11 in the Cavern Club (thanks once again PJ Morrissey). There were about 40 people in attendance, there were snacks and juice. Several officers showed up and spoke. Nelson the Hotel Director talked for a while about the recent negativity on CC about the short spring break cruises advertised at college campuses. He explained that it was an experiment that was very hard on the crew. Turning 4,100 @ double occupancy ever 7 days was really a challenge, but doing it twice in one week where a lot of rooms were full was extremely difficult. He also explained that after their European run the Epic would not be returning to Port Canaveral. He said that port just wasn’t big enough to handle the number of people. She will be porting in Puerto Rico starting in November.

He also explained that after their European run the Epic would not be returning to Port Canaveral. He said that port just wasn’t big enough to handle the number of people. She will be porting in Puerto Rico starting in November. [/color]

Curious what was meant by this; was his implication that Port Canaveral wasn’t big enough to handle embark/disembark for 4,100 passengers a week? Or that PC wasn’t drawing enough interest to get 4,100 to cruise each week?

I only ask because my trip through Port Canaveral struck me as it being one of the larger cruise ports I had seen in the US

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am pretty sure he meant the port couldn't handle embarkation/debarkation. We we're very early for embarkation so we got right on. I think others stood in line for a very long time and there was not enough room in the terminal for everyone, it was very very crowded. I will get to debarkation and it wasn't pretty.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Forums mobile app

. He also explained that after their European run the Epic would not be returning to Port Canaveral. He said that port just wasn’t big enough to handle the number of people. She will be porting in Puerto Rico starting in November.

This part is news to me. I have a booking for Epic out of Port Canaveral next March.

We found chairs out front on 18 and stayed for a couple of hours- the fruit kabobs were distributed again as well as an apple popsicle. However, DH got tired of making trips to the bar and wanted to take a dip, so we relocated to Spice. It was still very crowded, but we found a couple of chairs. We took advantage of the small buffet by the bar for a snack of chicken wings, fries, and some fruit. The pool was not very big, nor very cool. It did cool you off, because you were wet when you got out, but just hanging out was not really refreshing.

DH is actually the captain of our pool team and we play every Thursday night. Since we were not going to be there for the week’s game, he decided to send an inspirational pic to the other fellas on the team. I struck pretty pose, but this is the pic he sent them. It must have worked because they won 9-2 and we even had to forfeit one match. I think that means we need to cruise more often so DH can collect up some inspiration. Win-win right, he gets to take pictures of half naked ladies while I pretend I am offended while enjoying free drinks and an ocean view.