Cruising with a cheapskate: Review of NCL Epic 3/31-4/7 2018

drewsmom123

On our way back to town O’Neal talked about the animals on the island. He said the only native predator was a yellow python, but mongoose had been introduced and had killed most of the snakes and were working on the chicken population (which just run wild, everywhere). He suggested that everyone go to the Ocho Rios Jerk Center and try authentic food, however, the food on the ship is free so we wouldn’t be going there. He dropped us off in a shopping center within the “walk zone”. We spent a little while looking around- most shops had free rum samples. The shops seemed a little high for hats, t-shirts, and magnets. We did buy a hat for our son and then decided to find some free wi-fi. Very close to the ship is a taco stand called Rasta Taco, they would give you the wi-fi password without a purchase. They had a very nice little porch in the shade so we checked our emails and sent a few texts. Margaritaville was close by too, some people from the ship said they went there.

We walked back to the ship- about a half a mile, nice wide sidewalk. Along the road on the way back we saw a fella selling fish.

Back on board for lunch at the buffet around 1:30. Then we found chairs on the upper deck around the pool- there was a nice breeze and I took a little nap. We stayed until sail away and then went to the hot tub in Spice.

Buffet again for dinner- Carribean Night. We took our desserts to Spice and watched Dunkirk. DH wanted to play some pool so we went down to check out the tables, but I was just exhausted so I convinced him to call it a night (it was like 9:30). There was a puppy waiting for me.

Waiting on your review...can't wait to read about your trip. We sail in May on Carnival's Elation, but we will be visiting Dollywood this weekend!! We are just north fo K-town!

Enjoy Dollywood. I can make dinner suggestions if you need them. We haven't been on the Elation. Give us a review of your trip.

Day 5 Grand Cayman

We were both awake by 6:00, so we decided to get some walking in. This time we just walked around the upper decks, then back to Spice, several times. There were hardly any people out yet so could walk around between the chairs. The crew was conducting an emergency drill in the pool. They had an inflatable life raft that was turned upside down and the crew member had to climb on top of it and turn it over. It was very interesting to watch.

Every morning there was evidence of constant maintenance and repair. The ship was extremely clean and I never noticed anything that looked like it could use some attention.

On our walk we visited the sports deck. You could play basketball or soccer (the had tournaments. There was a jumpy thing and a spider slide but I forgot to get pics.

There is also giant chess and ping pong. We always enjoy a good ping pong game but we never did play. IMG_20180404_090650785.thumb.jpg.14f124a5008eb9e71890d75ddb353aec.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Forums mobile app

IMG_20180404_091031552_HDR.thumb.jpg.45d1e237cb1d9d48e2c06792de4e8415.jpg

IMG_20180404_090903070.thumb.jpg.7f64bf9f0cbff28608a725acbc0b5f29.jpg

We had decided the day before that we would not get in a hurry catching a tender, so we had buffet breakfast and then when the slides opened at 10 we rode those until we got tired. There were just about 10 of riding so there wasn’t any wait time.

By 10:45 we were on deck 4 waiting for a tender, one had just pulled in, but we had to wait for those on it to unload.

We went to Margaritaville to check wi-fi, and to people watch. Then we headed to the right from the ship to Eden Rock Dive Center. For $14, I rented gear and went snorkelling. DH decided to save his $14- what for I’m not sure, but he did get some good pictures of me in the water. There were lots of fish, I could have just laid out there for hours. About 50 yards away, 2 excursion boats pulled in and people got off and snorkeled with me.

I have decided that next time I will bring my own snorkel gear. There was a good place at GSC and on Grand Caymen there was a Marine Park right next to the place that I paid to rent. There were lockers and no entrance fee.

It was tiny. It was just before you get to Eden Rock.

Enjoyed your review! Just read the whole thing! Looking forward to the finish.

We like Eden Rock too and have been there twice.

Are you aware that Carnival offers discounted fares for teachers? NCL and others might also. Worth asking about.

Sent from my LG-M210 using Forums mobile app

Enjoyed your review! Just read the whole thing! Looking forward to the finish.

We like Eden Rock too and have been there twice.

Are you aware that Carnival offers discounted fares for teachers? NCL and others might also. Worth asking about.

Sent from my LG-M210 using Forums mobile app

I didn't know about teacher discounts but I will definitely be looking for that in the future.

Than you and I apologize for posting misinformation. I can only blame the UBP.. it was 11 o'clock when we went to the meet and greet so I had already had a few.

No worries, very understandable, lol. After a few eighteen and nineteen sound similar!!

We board the Spirit on Sunday - we’ll have fun - we also have UBP!

Great review so far!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Your trip sounds like a hoot! How do you find a "facebook" page for your(my) cruise?
I just searched Norwegian epic and found one with the correct date. If there isn't one you can create one. It has been a lot of fun connecting with people and then seeing them on board. People also got questions answered on that page.