The Captian of the Sernade put on a show

G-Bone

We just got back from the Southeren caribbean cruise on the Sernade of the Seas (12/17/05) which turned out to be our best cruise yet. We found Captain Stig Nelson (chech spelling) to be very informative (kind of an historian) upon leaving each port. The captian pulled a move that was a pleasant suprise to everyone when leaving St Lucia. Just before the slack in the ropes he informed everyone that he was taking the ship out to the Pitons right at sunset and we would be there at 5:35pm. He stated that the ship would be at top speed (25 knots) and this is a rare event for the ship to go at top speed. Me and my wife were just leaving the Windjammer and looked over the rail and could see that the ropes were still tight and this would give us time to go to our room and grab the camera and then to the forward (heliport) part of the ship. When we got there there were only 10 to 15 people there and the ship just started to pull away from the peir. From this point on the Captian was on the speakers giving a lot of information about the island. From this part of the ship, you could not tell that we were doing 25 knots other than it was very windy. You could see the Pitons getting closer and we were treated to a school of dolphins. Even the captian came over the speakers and questioned did we see the dolphins and everyone turned around and gave him thumbs up (as you see this is turning out to be an excrusion of its own). The captian is still telling about certian coves on the island and where the Disney movie Pirates of the Caribbean was filmed. The Pitons are still getting closer, remember, other than the wind, it is very silent from the front part of the ship. The captain comes back in the michprone and informs us that we will be approached by small craft on both sides of the ship and not to throw them money for this would bring more small one man craft to the ship. Once at the Pitons Captain Stig Nelson performed the "Power Move". He put the Sernade of the Seas into a power 360 plus to give everybody a full view of the Pitons. Keep in mind this is right a sunset and it was breath-taking. The water was as blue as we had ever seen it and by this time the forward part of the ship was full of people taking this all in. Once the "Power move" was complete EVERYBODY turned around and gave this man an ovation that was worthy and a resemblance of a winning touchdown in an NFL football game. You could see the captian giving us all thumbs up and then he blew the Sernade of the Seas' horn and the signature three long deep tones. IT WAS AWESOME. To top this off as the ship pulled away from the Pitons out to sea, slowly, a FULL moon rose from behind one of the peaks.

I applogize for the long thread but we had to share this moment with Cruise Critic hoping it would be appreciated.

Gary & Veroinca

He also did that for us when we were aboard last April. I also thought that what he does on the last sea day as you pass various islands was very impressive.

All told, I think he is the best skipper that we have sailed with. He is not over the top flashy like Mariner's captain Johnny. He is very dignified and, in my mine, what a ship's captain should be.

Did the same in March with this capatain. He was great, The close up of the island of Montserratt was just as amazing. I believe he is well known for the "show" he puts on for his passengers. He circled Montserrat several times as this was a day at sea and he said he could make up time @ night. Perfect cruise all the way around!

You are right, we forgot to mention that the last day at sea Captian Nelson will pass close to the island of Monseratte (check spelling) and the island of St.Kitt. He will be very informative about both island. If you can not get out on deck by 9:30am (which is the first island of Monseratte), you can turn your T.V. to the channel that shows the ships speed and direction and a camera shot of the bow of the ship and hear the captians announcements very clearly from your stateroom.

I also was on the 12/17 sailing of Serenade and agree Capt. Stig was great. I was on the stern in the Seaview Cafe as we sailed out of Castries, St. Lucia toward the Pitons. It had been showering off and on all day and as we looked aft, we could see a rainbow where both ends where visible touching water and St. Lucia. Quite a show.

If any upcoming cruisers are looking for a great tour in St. Lucia, we really enjoyed the land and sea tour with Peter the Great. Got to see the Pitons up close as well as the drive in volcano, waterfall, Marigot bay, and awesome snorkeling at Anse Chastenet. Have a great trip!

How well will you be able to see all this from an aft balcony? I'd love to set up my tripod and get some great pictures. Am I better off on the bow or does it matter?

Mark

You will eventually be able to get some pictures but your angles will be limited. You will miss the entire approach to the area. You would be much better off up on deck.

I was perched up on the front of the ship, beyond the SKy bar. Had a beautiful view of the Pitons and the sunset that followed. You could watch it before your eyes sink into the water. For Montserrat I was on the pol deck and walked over to the rail and could see it all. Go up one deck if you don't want to bother with the windows. Worth every penny!

Archived