Our excursion in Bali

golfgirls

I wanted to share a bit about an excursion that I arranged independently as it was a definite highlight of our trip...

If you have ever heard of the name John Hardy, you would know that he became famous for making jewelry based on his inspiration from the culture and the beauty of Bali. He built a workshop just over an hour away from the port in Benoa where you can arrange to visit, based on limited numbers.

I don’t want to give away the whole experience but I can tell you he really built a sustainable community that employs over 750 people who hand make every piece of jewelry. You can visit the various stages of development as they craft these pieces. It is very interesting not only for the jewelry itself but for the engineering that underpins the craftsmanship. It is really quite amazing the vision that Hardy had to build this environment that was founded in 1975.

We were invited to join the management team for lunch at their outdoor long table. The management team eats lunch together every day and up to eight people can be invited to join them. By the way, the same kitchen, with no electricity or gas, also prepares lunch for all of the 750 workers each day. Our lunch was just a fabulous experience and gave us a ‘real’ up close look at the beautiful Balinese culture.

It is also kind of ironic that during our cruise, the boutique on the Voyager launched the sale of John Hardy jewelry onboard!

We had a great day there and I wanted to let others know about it. I contacted John Hardy through their website so if you are interested, you can find the contact info there.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The folks from John Hardy sent a driver to the port in Benoa to pick us up. I am not sure that they do this for everyone as some people arranged their own transportation. It doesn’t hurt to ask!

Sent from my iPad using Forums