Please Advise on Upcoming Trip

kitty9

I know this is not cruise related, but I need some advice about an upcoming trip with a wheelchair and scooter. Mom, sis and I are going to Disney World next week. We are renting a wheelchair for mom and a scooter for me from Randy's Rental. My question is: will we need to bring some kind of lock for both? Since mom and I are somewhat ambulatory, we will want to get out of the chair/scooter and go on a few rides. I've heard of people having their chairs stolen from places, and I don't want this to happen. How does everyone handle this?

One suggestion would be bicycle locks - something you could clasp on the scooter or wheelchair - and then lock onto a railing, for instance.

Also - Magellans has some great cable locks (with ample lenghts of chain)

for the same purpose. Think it is : http://www.Magellans.com You are probably familiar with that company; excellent quality travel products.

Also, scooter usually have a key which you can take with you. The scooter could not be driven without the lock. However, most can then be pushed if someone knew how to put it into "freewheeling".

Guess another question/concern would be whether or not a ride is "round trip" so it comes back to where you have stored your equipment........

You may not need to get out of the scooters. Even years ago (10+), Disney had adapted many of the rides to accomodate wheelchairs.

But a wheelchair is not a scooter and in my many trips to WDW and DL in the past few years I've had to park my scooter (take the key with you) and transfer to a CM-pushed wheelchair to access the rides.

If leaving a scooter somewhere unattended worries you take a plastic poncho and secure it draped over the scooter with a bungee cord before entering the ride, or inaccessible restroom. Come to think of it, you could probably do the same with a wheelchair.

Archived